right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ak2018 is a rising junior at Virginia Tech having transferred from George Mason University. He'll answer any question, including about his studies abroad or his research at NASA. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Help with Appealing Academic Dismissal

2»

Replies to: Help with Appealing Academic Dismissal

• bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU 14505 replies106 threads Forum Champion
    You didn't do well Freshman year and continued to make the same mistakes sophomore year. Why didn't you learn anything then? why will this time be different?
    · Reply · Share
  • KMstar1KMstar1 10 replies2 threads New Member
    @bopper in the past, i didn't learn anything because I never took the time to reflect why I was making my mistakes. I never tried to understand why I was failing and I just kept telling myself "I'll just do better on my exams next time". However, I failed to realize attendance was the biggest reason why I kept failing. For example, in my Anthropology class, my exam scores were a 68%, 84% and a 86%. My average exam scores were a 79.3%, yet my overall grade was a 71. This exact thing had actually happened in 4 out of my 9 possible classes.
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 10848 replies588 threads Super Moderator
    @KMstar1 ,that is great news!!! I am happy for you. If you find yourself struggling again, take advantage of everything your school can offer, and you can always look for support here on CC.
    · Reply · Share
  • 1203southview1203southview 460 replies4 threads Member
    Wow, that is fantastic! So happy for you.... make the most of it!
    · Reply · Share
  • aunt beaaunt bea 10345 replies71 threads Senior Member
    Congrats!!!
    Now, go get the books, for your classes, on Amazon!
    · Reply · Share
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU 14505 replies106 threads Forum Champion
    Make sure to:
    1) Go to Professor's office hours early in the semester. Ask this question: "I know this is a really difficult class-- what are some of the common mistakes students make and how can I avoid them?"

2) If you have problems with the homework, go to Prof's office hours. If they have any "help sessions" or "study sessions" or "recitations" or any thing extra, go to them.

3) Form a study group with other kids in your dorm/class.

4) Don't do the minimum...for STEM classes do extra problems. You can buy books that just have problems for calculus or physics or whatever. Watch videos on line about the topic you are studying.

5) Go to the writing center if you need help with papers/math center for math problems (if they have them)

6) If things still are not going well, get a tutor.

7) Read this book: How to Become a Straight-A Student: The Unconventional Strategies Real College Students Use to Score High While Studying Less by Cal Newport. It helps you with things like time management and how to figure out what to write about for a paper, etc.
    8) Attend class!!!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity