right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

11:59 Dec. 31st or 11:59 Jan. 1st???

2»

Replies to: 11:59 Dec. 31st or 11:59 Jan. 1st???

• LindagafLindagaf 8837 replies472 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 9,309 Senior Member
    Well jym626, luckily they will see that her application is on time. And that she interviewed, submitted other info weeks ahead of schedule, and submitted essays that she put hours and hours of time and thought into. I am not worried that her apps were submitted close to the deadline. It's no different from submitting an assignment before the due date. Plenty of students will also submit apps at the last minute with essays that were clearly written in a hurry with no thought or care. Maybe she will get in, maybe she won't, but she sure wasn't going to submit anything she wasn't happy with. Many kids are on the fence about a school, or think that submitting an app could be a waste of money they don't readily have. Other studetns are waiting for test scores to come in. There are dozens of very good reasons why students submit apps late in the game. I would like to hear from any other CCers that think submitting an app close to the deadline is a problem. Personally, I only think it is a problem if they fail to get the rest of the materials submitted in time. Evn then, I understsnd colleges will accept late supplemental materials.
    · Reply · Share
  • fallenchemistfallenchemist 24269 replies860 discussionsHonorary Super Mod Posts: 25,129 Inactive
    edited January 2016
    The OP asked a simple question. They were not asking for nor did they require advice, lectures and criticism on time management or other topics. The other poster is also perfectly correct. It only needs to be in by the deadline; one week before or one hour before or one minute before is irrelevant to all but the student and their family.

Added Jan 2: There are 1,000 legit reasons for last minute applications, not the least of which is that the colleges themselves continue to send literature and emails well into December, asking (begging, even) students to apply. It would be the height of hypocrisy to then turn around and penalize them for "procrastinating" or "not showing enough interest" because it was submitted Jan. X, which is their deadline. And that's only one reason it might be "last minute". There are hundreds more that have nothing to do with how interested they are or are not in that school. How can they (or any of us here on CC) possibly know? End of edit.

Question answered (11:59:59 Jan 1, 2016 local time), closing thread.

FYI @NASA2014
    They won't review your application on January 1st. They might start later or so. Probably January 5, 2016 is when they will start reading.
    This really is potentially misleading. As has been pointed out, it is easy to see if the application was submitted on time. Would a college decide not to accept an application because it was submitted after the deadline? Very, very possibly. I have certainly known profs that won't accept an assignment submitted after midnight the day it was due, even though they had no intention of grading them until maybe even a few days later. And they are perfectly right to hold to that.
    edited January 2016
    Post edited by fallenchemist on
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity