right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Send letter to admissions committee member? HELP

gshreyash19999gshreyash19999 16 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 21 New Member
I moved from India after my sophomore year and have done my Junior and Senior year in the US. None of my grades got transferred and all of them were assigned with a 'P'. I also had to take certain required courses (which many of my peers had taken during their freshman and sophomore years) when they were taking AP courses. Due to these circumstances, my School GPA is very low and my rank is not truly reflective of my academic excellence.

Should I send a letter from my counselor (with school letter head) to the admissions committee member of the particular school I am applying to in my district explaining these unusual circumstances? I know this is a very holistic process but I feel like the GPA and rank will act as a disadvantage when so many highly qualified students are applying to the same school. Please help. Thanks in advance.
9 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Send letter to admissions committee member? HELP

• elliebhamelliebham 713 replies163 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 876 Member
    Did your counselor not address any of this in his/her evaluation?
    · Reply · Share
  • gshreyash19999gshreyash19999 16 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 21 New Member
    @elliebham he somewhat touched on it on the counselor recommendation and I wrote about it on the Miscellaneous section of the common app (But it looks very unofficial, almost as if it is an excuse) but that is about it.
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 22408 replies2184 discussionsForum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 24,592 Forum Champion
    You cannot write a letter from your counselor on your school's letterhead. The topic was already addressed by your counselor and by you.
    · Reply · Share
  • elliebhamelliebham 713 replies163 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 876 Member
    Then it's mentioned twice in your application already and that should be sufficient, imo
    · Reply · Share
  • gshreyash19999gshreyash19999 16 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 21 New Member
    @happy1 @elliebham I was wanting to take out the miscellaneous section since it sounds like I am whining and make the counselor send in the email so its more official...

Here is what I wrote on the common app miscellaneous section. Tell me your thoughts about it.

"Two years ago, I was a straight A student in India with a 9.8/10 CGPA (Cumulative grade point average). When I enrolled into Liberty High School in Frisco, all my past experience regardless of the grade earned was designated with a P (pass). My first semester as a Junior in Frisco, TX, I enrolled in required courses for which I had no credit. These included Art, Health, and CommApps (communication applications). I not only lost high academic standing that I had carried in India, I also struggled with Art. Don't get me wrong, I love art, but I was not too pleased about what it did with my GPA. I am currently carrying a 4.6/6 which has placed me in the top 20 percent of my class. I am proud of my academic performance, yet I am disappointed that colleges may not see my full transcript. "
    · Reply · Share
    I think you should rewrite that presenting only the facts, not how you feel about that. And no, you shouldn't "make" the counselor send it in an email. He already referenced it in his evaluation. If he thought he should have written more about it, he would've.
    · Reply · Share
    @elliebham The counselor said he would if he wanted me to. So the question is, edit this according to what you suggested or completely delete the miscellaneous section and let him send the letter.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 32224 replies336 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 32,560 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    It's something the GC usually addresses. It's fine to put a note in Addl Info, explaining in your words. But seriously, did you consider how what you did write will come across? You're applying to elites and the tone is off.

You are not the first kid this has happened to. Even for kids transferring from one US hs to another, this can occur. Mind the impression you create. These colleges will look for your judgment and attitude.
    edited December 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 22408 replies2184 discussionsForum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 24,592 Forum Champion
    edited December 2015
    What you wrote appears to be "sour grapes" to me. Just state facts. And definitely delete the complaining about your art grade. First of all the college will see that the low grade was in art, and second the majority of colleges recalculate GPA using academic subjects only.

Is it possible to get the transcript from your HS in India sent directly to the colleges you have applied to? If you can do that, then perhaps just send in a note saying that your transcript from freshman and sophomore years in India will be arriving under separate cover for their review.
    edited December 2015
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity