Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Sophomore in High school questions

Replies to: Sophomore in High school questions

• hopan1004hopan1004 Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
  • mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 32,048 Senior Member
    That's a wonderful gift for you. Don't squander it!
    @mathmom what college do you recommend? Someone metioned about penn state and I searched it up and penn state university park campus requires high gpa and other campuses in pen state are average 3.0? Which college do h recommend ?
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 36,886 Senior Member
    You are not a good candidate for early college (mentioned in your earlier post). Your GPA is low. Get your SAT or ACT tests taken in junior year. Go visit a few colleges in your area. Go see a large state university, a medium sized college, and a small liberal arts school. Think about whether you like an urban or rural field. Consider what you might want to study.

Then come back for suggestions.
  • mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 32,048 Senior Member
    I don't recommend anything. It's too early. We don't have your scores. We don't know what you are interested in. We don't know what type of campus appeals to you. (Large, small, urban, suburban, rural, rah-rah sports, frats or no frats might all be important to you or not so important.) You have plenty of time to figure this out. If you are impatient, you could start by going on tours of some nearby campuses of different types and see what appeals.
    @mathmom I really appreciate your advice and I understand that with my data, I can't really decide which college, Unlike other people in U.S. I am from Korea but I have a U.S citizenship. I came here to go to good college, If I was going to live in U.S, sure I can go to a community college or a college that I want, However I am going back to Korea to live and to get a job in Korea, you need to be from high ranked U.S college. I will take patients to find my colleges since I am a sophomore but and I will improve my GPA, but I just want to know as I improve my GPA, which college with high rank I can go? I actually have 3.5 1st and 2nd but because my exams I did get a bad GPA. So please give me more advice.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,530 Senior Member
    What do you call "high rank"? Colleges that are prestigious in Korea may not be the same as those prestigious in the US. For example, Koreans would not know about most NESCAC schools but they may have heard about colleges with the state's name as their name. So, wherever you're studying may be a good choice, the famous big state university may be the best-known, what we call "state flagship" (some states have two or three.) There's also a LOT of misinformation in Korea.
    Since you're an American citizen, why would you want to go back to Korea? Especially since there's mandatory military service, which I find terrible - military service should be a vocation, not something forced upon all youth, including those who would rather do something else. In addition, you may not want to go to Korea after living here for so long.
    Anyway, there are 3,700 universities in the US. The best are collected in a book called "Princeton Review's Best Colleges". Start there.
    Also, on this board there's a Korean-American student who had to battle a lot of Korean misinformation and prejudice, @Paul2752 who will be able to help you more.
  • mathyonemathyone Registered User Posts: 4,225 Senior Member
    It is a waste of time to worry about this until you have more grades and test scores. Just do your best. I don't even know what kind of answer you are expecting, and stop worrying so much about ranking this and ranking that. If you look at college admissions statistics you can get some idea where you may stand but you have to consider that students being admitted with lower grades and test scores may have some other boost to their applications like being an athlete.
    Are you very very good at a sport - wrestling, rowing, fencing, handball, racquetball...?
    @MYOS1634 @mathyone Thank you guys and @mathyone Can you explain more about last few sentences you said about athletes?
    @MYOS1634 yes I play soccer, however I couldn't make the team cuz of the injury and planning to do track next year, and do more after school activities like robotics. I work at Korean school and chorus every Saturday. And after school internship next year with a professor. Do you recommend anything else?
    Then it doesn't work. Indeed, athletes can be admitted to schools where their scores and GPA's are in the bottom 25% if their athletic skills are amazing. But amazing means that you are not only on varsity, but captain or similar, AND regionally ranked, or all-state, or all-american...
    It's not the number of EC's per se, but rather how good you are at what you choose to do. Focus on track and robotics + the internship with the professor. Community service at Korean school is nice but won't really affect college admissions.
    Read _How to be a high school superstar_ by Cal Newport and _Make Colleges want you_. In addition to reading Princeton Review's Best College, which you should start with, reading the chapter about all the colleges in your state.
    Is your mother with you? Or are you at boarding school?
    Do your parents have a budget for your college?
    @MYOS1634 Yes my mother is with me, and Yes I have a budget for any college.
    Get the three books I told you about and make sure your mother reads them too. Perhaps get "The college solution" and "AdMission Possible".
    The process in the US is *very* different from the process in Korea and what Koreans find "good" is different from what Americans find good. In a nutshell, the things you do at school matter much more than the name of your school, unless you intend to go into the entertainment industry and Investment Banking, plus, to a certain extent, art history and subjects like that. So, for most majors and most situations, your university's name matters very little. How 'known' that name isn't even an indication of quality. If you're in California, more people will have heard of Cal Poly Pomona than of Pomona College... even though Pomona College is one of the premier private universities in this country.
    @MYOS1634 but I plan to live in Korea, and In Korea, they only care about the name and ranking of the college...
This discussion has been closed.