Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Sophomore in High school questions

13»

Replies to: Sophomore in High school questions

• mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 32,054 Senior Member
    Which ranking? Here's one that puts Harvard at #8: http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/college_guide/rankings-2015/national-universities-rank.php

Without test scores we can't even begin to guess what would be possible for you. A B student with SAT scores 2100+ will have very different choices from one with 1500 scores. It's silly to even speculate.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,532 Senior Member
    edited March 2016
    7 years from now, Korea may be a distant childhood memory. You may want to return, but you may have a boyfriend/girlfriend and/or a job offer here. Your goal should be to do very well in HS, following US parameters (as many A's and B's as you can, plus a couple activities that you pursue in-depth. Don't forget sleep and non-competitive things you do for fun.) This will get you into good colleges, especially since you'll be full-pay. Then, you will attend college, live in the dorms (perhaps the honors dorm), make friends and start networking, get internships, build your resume. You'll likely have a job and work for a while. Then, when you return to Korea at age 25 or 26, whatll matter most is your resume. If need be, you can always find a job at a Fortune 100 company (for instance, get into CFANS at UMN-Twin Cities* and start working for one of the big corporations there; it's a well-ranked university, but CFans is easier to get into, and it leads to excellent jobs at prestigious companies; ) I'm thinking that working for a top American company would help you as well as having a degree from a "famous" university.
    *One of the top depts in the country
    https://www.cfans.umn.edu/academics/majors-minors/applied-economics
    Financial Analysis and BUsiness Management
    https://www.cfans.umn.edu/academics/majors-minors/ag-food-business

• mathyonemathyone Registered User Posts: 4,225 Senior Member
    I'm not sure how prestigious a college you are looking for. It seems from your posts that your English skills need work. Your grades and activities are ok but neither one of them is going to impress highly ranked colleges. You should look at the admissions pages of colleges you are interested in attending to see what kind of grades and test scores the students they accept have, and also tour them if possible, to see what the schools are like. The students being accepted with lower test scores will generally have something else boosting their application--they might be recruited athletes, under-represented minorities or first generation to attend college, from disadvantaged backgrounds or areas, or they may have some outstanding achievement in some area. Also keep in mind that at state schools, in state residents have a significant admissions advantage. If the information about average scores and grades for out of state students or foreign students isn't available on the website, you could try asking about it if you attend the information session on a college tour.

Did you take the PSAT this year--that can give you a rough idea of what your scores will be, although with preparation they would probably improve. If not, you may want to take a practice SAT from a book just to get an idea.
  • paul2752paul2752 Registered User Posts: 5,122 Senior Member
    My fellow Korean, why would you choose to live in Korea when you have US citizenship???
    I second working on a PSAT or SAT book to prepare for the PSAT (October Junior year). It's a giant scholarship competition which leads to a prestigious title, NMF (National Merit Finalist), and indicates you're top 1% in the country for the test score. While top colleges don't admit based on scores, those are factored in. So, students with 1540 may get rejected while students with 1420 may be admitted, but students with 1050 will not. To decide between the students who has 1540 and 1420, top colleges look at everything else. You have to stay away from what most other Korean kids do, so that you stand out more among that group :). Also, the higher your score, the better the odds of your getting into a top public school.
    What state do you live in?
  • hopan1004hopan1004 Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    @MYOS1634 I live in the white area school, and I don't hang out with Korean kids. Yes, I am preparing for SAT2 Math and PSAT. and I live in Maryland and I go to best school in Maryland. and @mathyone and I have bad English when I type or text because I tend to not check them, I usually check my grammar if it is a test. PSAT I took this year got 1100 and I wasn't trying. @MYOS1634 I will consider that idea of getting a job in U.S after I graduate. Since I live in Maryland, I would love to go to university of Maryland either college park or Baltimore.
    @mathmom http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges best on this website, do I have any chance of getting into 50-100?
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 36,446 Super Moderator
    Once more with feeling:
    Without test scores we can't even begin to guess what would be possible for you
    This is your job not my job. Again without test scores WE CAN'T TELL YOU.

Take a look at one of the #99's - Drexel University. Go to their website. Look at their Common Data set. http://drexel.edu/irae/factbook/common_data/ Go to page 9 - you will see they accept students with your current GPA, but you would be in the bottom third of applicants. On the other hand if you could manage to score over 650 or so on every section of the SAT you would be in the top quarter of applicants. If your GPA puts you in the bottom half of your class your chances are pretty bad, but if you are at a school which doesn't give out A's like candy and you were in the top quarter, your chances would be much better. You need to do this for every school you are considering.
    This is your job not my job. Again without test scores WE CAN'T TELL YOU.

Take a look at one of the #99's - Drexel University. Go to their website. Look at their Common Data set. http://drexel.edu/irae/factbook/common_data/ Go to page 9 - you can see what percentage of students get accepted with your GPA, with your (non existent) test scores and with your rank. Drexel obviously accepts some students with your GPA (the unweighted one), but not a huge number. Some may be athletes or have other hooks. It's not impossible, but it would be a lot easier with better grades.
  • LovenetcLovenetc Registered User Posts: 196 Junior Member
    Hey there! You seen to be doing pretty well right now, but as others have said, you are still a Sophomore and still have some time. I would recommend:

-Continue striving for great grades and a solid GPA
    -Start studying/prepping for the SAT/ACT NOW! Believe me, just recently as a HS Senior I realized that my scores are not going to get me a lot of scholarships... :(
    - Speaking of money, I know you said your parents have a fund for you, which is great, but always apply for scholarships when you get test scorers and have more solid stats that are good. You never know, just like @mathmom said, $240,000 is the cost at some private colleges. Funding can get hectic!
    - Continue being involved, it seems you are doing well with that, just continue participation
    -Enjoy high school, as it does go by...you will do great in college!

:)

• mathyonemathyone Registered User Posts: 4,225 Senior Member
    I think you are too focused on those rankings. Those are just lists that people made up. Many other people would disagree with them.

Why did you waste your chance to practice the PSAT by not trying? Many of the questions you are asking here as others have pointed out, are easily answered with a little web searching. You seem to be expecting us to do this work for you. I won't respond any further as you don't seem to be trying very hard here.
    @mathmom @Lovenetc @Erin's Dad Thanks for helping me out. My questions are done pretty much and I will improve my GPA since it is the most important thing and I will work on my final exam. Let me know if you guys have anything else to say. Thank you for helping me out.
    @mathyone I didn't want you guys to feel that way.My parents don't speak English and I just wanted someone to talk to from U.S who knows well about college admission in U.S. I am trying in school and You don't need to respond no more, because Right now, I just need to focus on my GPA. Thanks for the help though @MYOS1634 and @mathyone
    edited March 2016
    There are three colleges in Maryland that are quite good and reputable: University of Maryland College Park, which is very hard to get into and has the big sports teams which makes it very well-known to people, but also top programs in computer science, cybersecurity, criminology...; University of Maryland Baltimore County, which is excellent for STEM; St Mary's, University of Maryland's Honors public LAC. All three are very good. Other universities include Towson or Montgomery College, they'd be good matches if you have a 3.0 and good safeties if you have a 3.4+. Also very good and accessible with a 3.5 GPA and good test scores: Goucher, Loyola-Maryland. If you want, you can go and visit Goucher, UMD BC, and Loyola-Maryland. All three are very different, so you'd get a feel for what you like or dislike in a college. You're not constraine by geographyor costs, so you could go on college tour trips, which many American families do in the summer after sophomore year and throughout junior year. In the states of Pennsylvania and New York, there are LOTS of colleges.
This discussion has been closed.