Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Quick question

2»

Replies to: Quick question

• amy989amy989 Registered User Posts: 306 Member
    edited March 2016
    Yes if you can afford it. How far into your studies did you get before you took time off? I also agree that t's a good idea to talk with a counselor first. You also don't have to decide what to do right away. You can sign up to take classes at another community college without officially enrolling in the college. Then later on you can go through the process of enrolling in a degree program and decide what to do with your old academic record.
    But I will add there are others users on this site that do not agree with me. I'm just of the opinion that every student should have a right to wipe the slate clean and start over.
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 36,435 Super Moderator
    First, not all CCs are open admission. You would not be a freshman. You may have to start as a non-degree option student. Talk to the school and be open about your past. They love students who turn things around.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 13,915 Forum Champion
    @ReRe11213 Despite what Amy says, you can't just apply as a new freshman. The application may ask if you have been in college before...if you say no, you are committing fraud.

But before you go to a new school, you have to understand what went wrong at the old school.

What do you want to do? What type of job are you interested in?
    Why did you get bad grades?
    Is now the time to go to school? Should you work and figure out what you want?
    Should you look into becoming an electrician or plumber or the like?
    Is military an option?

I thought the who idea of community college was that there is always open admissions.

Going back to the original post - attending a trade school might not be a bad idea at all. You can get a good paying job after you graduate.

• np2734np2734 Registered User Posts: 27 Junior Member
    This is off topic. But if a parent received a new job, do I have to report this to FAFSA or colleges?
This discussion has been closed.