Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

National Geographic genotyping

tmj1313tmj1313 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
I had the dna completed by this company and have 23 percent mdna of African American descent- Ethiopia specifically. May my biological daughter honestly state on application for college that she is biracial? Thank you

Replies to: National Geographic genotyping

• bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 9,185 Senior Member
    Does she consider herself part of the African American or biracial communities? Has she experienced the things these communities experience (positive or negative)? Or has she considered herself white for her entire life and feels no ties to any race besides that one?
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 9,302 Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    I am not good at percentages, but if you are 23% African then doesn't that mean your daughter is 11.5% African?. If biracial means half one race, half another, then I think that is stretching the definition, IMO. Surely there are literally millions of people with some African characteristics? So can she honestly say she is biracial? Only she can decide, but it doesn't seem entirely kosher to me for her to make that claim with the intention of getting an admissions boost.
  • flaminhauteflaminhaute Registered User Posts: 456 Member
    "Honestly"? No. This reminds me of my white friends who had DNA dug up to prove they were 5% native american so they could mark Native which is really embarrassing-- spoiler alert, they were very stupid ignorant individuals who wouldn't have gotten in anywhere regardless of what they doctored, though they did ultimately blame their race for it (cop out!).

Also, imagine that she gets invited to a multicultural overnight or the like and she has to explain to everyone that she just marked black for the app! You should work on making your daughter a motivated and smart individual rather than leeching off of her one black great grandparent.
This discussion has been closed.