Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Accepted to Only 2 Out of 17 Schools - and What I Learned

Replies to: Accepted to Only 2 Out of 17 Schools - and What I Learned

• preppedparentpreppedparent Registered User Posts: 3,284 Senior Member
    CBS News just aired that Harvard is being sued due to discrimination against asians in college admissions. The rest of the world just doesn't agree with you I guess.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 38,839 Senior Member
    ^ A group you agree with is suing Harvard. That group is not "the rest of the world".

@OnlyBerkeley2020 : how is it going? When you look back, what do you think happened?
  • UndercrackersUndercrackers Registered User Posts: 717 Member
    I think the big takeaway here, more than ever, is that colleges admissions in this country is a capricious business. Readjust what you consider to be "matches" and "safeties" and make sure a few of each (that you would actually consider attending) are on your list. As many people have said, you can only attend one school at a time, and UCB is NOT a step down from those others (plus, Regents! Chancellors!). If OP's heart is still set on going to one of these other schools, there's always graduate school...
  • preppedparentpreppedparent Registered User Posts: 3,284 Senior Member
    There's widespread concern about discrimination against Asians. Of course, this affects Asian students most, but we should all be concerned, because the next time it could be you. Let's wipe out all discrimination and quotas in college admission.
  • turtle17turtle17 Registered User Posts: 185 Junior Member
    I don't think capricious is the right word. First of all, in the OPs case, we don't have the unweighted GPA, which could easily include some Bs. Secondly, if you do the math and science national competitions and don't rank highly nationally, it means there probably hundreds of students who did better than you. You can take the top few hundred math students, spread them around the top schools, and you have all the math majors those schools need. Harvard does not want a whole class of future math professors, they want a handful. Same for the sciences, and there you also have people who have published research.
    It is a clear as can be you need something to stand out to even start to say you should have gotten in (OP doesn't but other people have) - if it isn't nationally ranked in something along with everything else being strong, you can do it with service, or essays or letters that really hit the mark. And you can get in to an excellent school, but it might be your strong state flagship instead of some big name private.
    When a member of the international math olympiad team with the same scores in other stuff gets turned down by all of places listed, then capricious might be the right word. I'm not aware of that happening.
  • VickiSoCalVickiSoCal Registered User Posts: 2,926 Senior Member
    Berkeley's Asian admitted students are over 40%. California is only 15% Asian. If Berkeley's discriminating against Asians they're doing a very bad job
  • hebegebehebegebe Registered User Posts: 2,305 Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    @VickiSoCal ,

Uh, California public schools are prohibited from considering race in its admissions process.
  • VickiSoCalVickiSoCal Registered User Posts: 2,926 Senior Member
    I know that. Sarcasm.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 72,162 Senior Member
    Admissions cannot be done just by numbers alone.

Actually, it is done by numbers alone at moderately and less selective universities, such as the California State Universities (CSUs).
  • turtle17turtle17 Registered User Posts: 185 Junior Member
    Second the "it is done by numbers alone" when numbers provide a clear distinction.

Beyond the X school doesn't just want future math professors, I think when people see AIME or similar things they forget how many people qualify nationally. I checked and saw two different numbers for AIME, one 5000 and one more like 15000-20000. In either case, if you rewrite AIME qualified as one of the top 10000 in the country on a national math exam, it helps put it in context. If you are truly a top university, why not take the top 100? This can be replicated for all sorts of things, from sciences through music and other activities. I had a parent complain bitterly to me that his son didn't get into HYPSM, even though his professed love was math, and he made the AIME, but no comment about where he was on that scale. I kept quiet in person, but the arguments annoy me enough to rant on college confidential!
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers Registered User Posts: 3,081 Senior Member
    so that's interesting @ucbalumnus -- are you saying that regardless of other characteristics, if you have the numbers, you get into those schools?

What if the student has a felony-sex-crime record or shows symptoms of a severe psychiatric disorder? The school is forced to accept that person?

It might be the case that numbers must and should dictate all in admissions, but I'm thinking that there's good reason to exclude some people.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 72,162 Senior Member
    The CSU application (see https://www.calstate.edu/sas/documents/applicationform-undergraduate.pdf ) does not ask about criminal records or psychiatric issues.

CSUs calculate an eligibility index of HS_GPA * 800 + SAT_R + SAT_M. Applicants are rank-ordered for their campuses and majors, with provisions based on state and local area residency, for admission. CPSLO is an exception, adding additional points for other characteristics before doing the rank-ordering.