Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Changing schools after committing

midnightlunamidnightluna Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
I've received acceptance letters from schools other than my top choice, School A. I called A and they said I should put down a deposit for a different school, B right now just in case I don't get into A and I still have a backup. If I do get into A after I've committed to B how do I switch my school commitment. Do I just email/mail/call B saying that I received an acceptance from a different school.Will they be able to know who I am just by name or should I write my info in the letter? Both of these schools are part of the CUNY system

Replies to: Changing schools after committing

• marvin100marvin100 Registered User Posts: 9,803 Senior Member
    Email with your name and date of birth in the SUBJECT line, and all you have to say is that you're withdrawing your admission and attending another school.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 39,653 Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    Are you on the waitlist for school A ?
  • midnightlunamidnightluna Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    @MYOS1634 They said they're still reviewing my application, i guess it's because cuny schools can be so unorganized.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 23,425 Forum Champion
    It is not an issue to switch schools after you deposit. It happens all the time when students get accepted off waitlists etc. It is known as "summer melt". If you get into College A you would deposit there and let College B know you will not be attending. You should expect to lose your deposit at College B.
    Then you're fine.
    You're allowed to deposit to several schools before May First, as long as you let them all know what you decided, on May First. And if some decisions are still pending (School 2), you are perfectly allowed to let School 1 know that you've changed your mind and let School2 know you'll be attending.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 23,425 Forum Champion
    ^^^^I didn't think you could double deposit even before May 1.
  • ChicagoSportsFnChicagoSportsFn Registered User Posts: 450 Member
    See bottom of this link regarding double deposits:

https://professionals.collegeboard.org/guidance/applications/ethics
    edited April 2016
    Double depositing is VERY very common and taken for granted at most public universities since students get their replies between August and January, and use that to save a spot and make sure they have housing. Universities often even refund the deposit, although not always. However on May first students must say where they're going and GC 's will only send ONE transcript to the one school selected as the final choice. Students on waitlists can withdraw their decision to accept their place at the school where they got off the waitlist.
    The 'double deposit ' rules in the link above apply to double depositing AFTER May first.
  • ChicagoSportsFnChicagoSportsFn Registered User Posts: 450 Member
    edited April 2016
    The article does NOT specifically say after 1 May. In fact, it says there is only one reason double deposit is acceptable- and that one reason relates to wait lists, not dates.

Here's another article about double deposits:
    http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/is-double-depositing-wron_b_5009949.html

I always tell my kids that anything is ok to do so long as it's not illegal, immoral, or unethical. While not illegal, there's two sources that say the practice is unethical.

And here's another article:
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2010/04/29/the-dirty-college-admissions-trick.html

Here's another lesson I would tell my kids...
    Would someone question your ethics if you deposit at one school? The answer is unequivocally no.

Would someone question your ethics if you deposit more than one school? Some would question your decision and some would not. Let's agree on that.

Therefore, make the decision that is beyond reproach. End of story.
This discussion has been closed.