Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Should I complain that?

swt255swt255 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
Hi, I am a transfer applicant for Fall 2016. I am studying in a community college.
Today, I got rejected by UC Berkeley, but most students in my college got in.
Many of those admitted students get really low GPA such as 3.1 and 3.3. My GPA is 3.9 and my major is not a competitive major. They are international students, but I am a permanent resident. Another friend of mine whose GPA is 3.97 got rejected too. Those admitted students join a same club which usually contacts with a staff in Berkeley.
I asked my friends from other community colleges, they told me the admitted students in their schools got GPA 3.9+
I felt that it's unfair for us. Can I complain Berkeley of that?
Where can I complain to ? I don't want to get in because I just want to get a fair answer.

Thank you

Replies to: Should I complain that?

• MITer94MITer94 Registered User Posts: 4,747 Senior Member
    @swt255 I wouldn't. Maybe those students had something else in their application that stood out that maybe you don't even know about.
  • swt255swt255 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    edited April 2016
    @MITer94 But I also have some internship experience and extracurricular activities. My friend from other CC told me that there's an admitted student whose GPA is 3.7 and participated fewer extracurricular activities than me. His major is the same as mine.
    edited April 2016
    @swt255 There may be an appeals process, but I highly doubt UCB or any other selective school will tell you why you were rejected (this is assuming you met the basic admission requirements as a transfer). Plus, you will need strong evidence of why you believe the decision was in error or any extenuating information that you were not able to mention in your transfer application.

Simply saying that there were other students that you know who had lower GPAs who got in is not strong enough evidence.
  • swt255swt255 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    @MITer94 How about that? I know a student who hasn't finished Berkeley's requirement classes. Her GPA is really low but got in because she's in this club and knows a person in Berkeley's Admission Office.
  • bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 9,185 Senior Member
    Hearsay. You need an error that was made in YOUR OWN decision. Nobody's impressed by "They got what I wanted and I deserve it too"-type complaints.
    Her GPA is really low but got in because she's in this club and knows a person in Berkeley's Admission Office.
    @swt255 I don't think you know that either - colleges also don't tell you why you were accepted.

Any appeals to UCB that refers to others' acceptances will almost certainly get rejected, as @bodangles mentioned.
  • millie210millie210 Registered User Posts: 493 Member
    Grades aren't everything. You should have known that. http://admissions.berkeley.edu/transferstudents

I have no idea what Berkeley's requirements are for English language ability with respect to permanent residents vs international students. I understand that as a permanent resident, English may be a second language for you and I admire the hard work required to get an education in a foreign language. But, frankly, your English needs work.
This discussion has been closed.