right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Unique ECs vs Typical/Academic ECs?

berkdorkberkdork 111 replies30 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 141 Junior Member
edited May 2016 in College Admissions
Hello everyone! Hope the Americans on here had a lovely Memorial Day and everyone else had/is having a great day!

I had a quick question that I was hoping I could get an answer to. I can across the "'Hidden Extracurriculars" forum and it got me thinking as to what colleges would prefer to see and what would be proper to show in the EC part of my college application (I'm currently a junior with less than a month of school left, so I'll be beginning to apply to schools this summer)

What "looks better"?

1) German Club-President
2) German National Honor Society
3) Global Leaders-President/Founder
4) Mu Alpha Theta-Treasurer
5) NHS
6) Varsity Track & Field
7) Creative Writing Club
8) Work at Kumon

or

1) Contributor to Disney Princess fanpage-have written upwards of 100 articles discussing intricacies in the films and delving into topics such as sexism, racism, how times have evolved with the Disney Princesses, etc.
2) Self-taught Norwegian for fun (originally started b/c thought the word "Norwegian" was cool)
3) Created a group of pen-pals with seven other individuals that ranged from Vietnam to Brazil to West Virginia to Ontario, spoke over E-mail, Skype, kik and had discussions over politics and global issues, nice insight + made close friends
4) Owner of semi-successful blog where I discussed Disney and animation in general (deleted blog, probably not worth mentioning, but it had a somewhat good following of ~4,000 people and growing)
5) Watched every Disney movie in German (is this worth mentioning? I don't wanna milk this whole Disney thing, they might think I'm crazy, but I think it's more unique than "learned German" or "was in German national honor society")
6) Heavily contributed to a music forum where I discussed my favorite artists and explored my love of music, taught me a lot about myself and showed me bands that would later become a large part of me

I know it's obviously a mix of both, but if I had to say, choose between mentioning being a member of NHS or Creative Writing Club OR choose how I contributed to the Disney Princess Fan Club and self-taught myself Norwegian, which would be smarter to choose?

Also out of the six "quirky" or whatever things I mentioned, would any of them be inappropriate to list under extracurriculars? It just dawned on me that they could even be considered extracurriculars, but I certainly find them a lot more genuine then that other list because all of the things I listed I did for my own enjoyment, not because of college. Btw planning on applying to several top 25 schools (a few top 10), that should probably go without saying on CC, but thought I'd add anyway.

Oh and btw I'm a male which I guess "spices up" the whole Disney thing? Idk, thought I'd throw that in there.
edited May 2016
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Unique ECs vs Typical/Academic ECs?

• nac7890nac7890 110 replies22 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 132 Junior Member
    edited May 2016
    On the common app you could just put German involvement in one slot, and use the explanation box to list both your clubs and the Disney thing. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't fill 3 boxes with stuff about Disney (though 2 is probably fine), unless you can really back it up with legit essays about how you've been truly shaped by your insatiable passion for Disney movies, which it sounds like might be the case.

OTOH, the pen pal thing, especially in coordination with your language learning and global interest, is perfect, so you should definitely keep that and emphasize that aspect.

If you still have too many things for the space, you can probably get rid of NHS, especially if you weren't an officer or particularly involved or anything. NHS doesn't really mean anything to colleges because it's kind of a joke to get in at some schools, and because it's such a common resume padder. Colleges presumably already know you could get into NHS just from your grades (assuming those are good) and other activities, and unlike everything else here, it doesn't tell them anything about you- it's just about the most vanilla EC you can have and since you clearly have more interesting things and experiences to talk about, keeping it isn't really necessary.
    edited May 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • bopperbopper 13871 replies98 discussionsForum Champion CWRU Posts: 13,969 Forum Champion
    Get the Book "How to be a High School Superstar" by Cal Newport. It talks about how to take your interests and make them spectacular.

I would want to see what you did as German Club President and GNHS...Not that you just got elected but you started the Disney in German Film Series, Organized International Day at school, etc.

Maybe on your App you have an EC for "Creative Writing"...include Creative Writing Club and what you did there, plus , can you include disney princess fan page and music forum.

1) Contributor to Disney Princess fanpage-have written upwards of 100 articles discussing intricacies in the films and delving into topics such as sexism, racism, how times have evolved with the Disney Princesses, etc.***Did you really write articles or just quick posts? If articles, I would mention this, esp. if you are into a writing related major.

2) Self-taught Norwegian for fun (originally started b/c thought the word "Norwegian" was cool)***Is there any evidence? Is there some kind of test you coudl take to show a level of proficiency? This is good because it shows intellectual curiosity.

34) Owner of semi-successful blog where I discussed Disney and animation in general (deleted blog, probably not worth mentioning, but it had a somewhat good following of ~4,000 people and growing)***Since it is deleted I would not talk about it...why did you delete?
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity