Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

International Student with American Passport, do I get in-state tuition? +other stuff


Replies to: International Student with American Passport, do I get in-state tuition? +other stuff

  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 9,269 Senior Member
    You need to start doing some research, NOW, to find out which colleges you can get into based on your stats. Do yiu have SAT Test scores? I suggest contacting the admissions offices of colleges you are interested in. Briefly tell them what you have told us. I would say most colleges nowadays are comfortable with international applications and will probably be able to look at your basic details and give you an idea of what they would accept or want to see as part of your application. And I know you are American, but as you won't have standard markers of American high schools, your app might be handled as though you are international, but that doesn't mean it is a bad thing.

    You can use guides like Princeton Review to research colleges, and websites like College Data, Niche, Cappex, and the Supermatch tool in this site. Good luck!
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 29,442 Senior Member
    The place to start is http://www.amideast.org/uae The counselors there will be able to help you through this process. You are not the only US Citizen studying in Dubai right now. There also should be some people at your high school who have helped other students apply to colleges and universities in the US. Ask your teachers and counselors there and find out who knows about the process.

    You are a US citizen, so you can move here whenever you feel like, and live wherever you feel like and can afford to live. As others have written, in some states you will be able to establish residency for the public universities on your own. However, there is no easy way to find that out. You really do have to check each place separately. You also should investigate community colleges. Often they have more generous policies about establishing residency. Where I used to live, the CC required only three months of in-district residency if the person could demonstrate that they paid the majority of their own living expenses.
  • lostaccountlostaccount Registered User Posts: 5,409 Senior Member
    In terms of community college, keep in mind that the academics at community colleges often fail to compare with those of 4 year schools. I suppose if the point is to spent one semester at a cc to establish residency it might be ok but I can't see relocating for the purpose of spending a couple of years at one.
This discussion has been closed.