Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Can someone read my EC activities and tell me how they look?

zane2453zane2453 Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
Currently going into my senior year, and I'm not sure if my extracurricular activities are good/ impressive enough. I'm asking with applying to Ohio State University in mind. For a school like that, do these EC's look good? I'll be using the common app, and I'm not sure if I have 10 activities (honor societies go under a different section), should I make sure to have 10?

-1 years of Track and Field
-2 years National Honor Society member
-2 years Mu-Alpha Theta member (math society)
-1 year National English Honor Society
-Interned and stood in on engineering projects at a company (Diamond Power) (Summer before my senior year) (Helped setup and program a PLC)
-Helped design and construct a 9-hole local disc golf course in my small town. Played a big role in setting it up (was thanked in the grand opening publicly, etc.)
-LDGA Member (Lancaster Disc Golf Alliance)
-Participated in multiple local disc golf tournaments
-Started/ am part of a book club (2 years) (only ~5 members)
-Attended weekly youth group
-Photography awards (Participation in Congressional Art Show, Special Recognition in the Governor's Youth Art Exhibition for two pictures, two honorable mentions in the Scholastic Art Show)
-~50 hours of misc. volunteer work (food shelters, restoring a nonprofit clinic, etc.)
-~50 hours of paid work for my mother's business

Are these impressive or good enough? Should I try to do more my senior year?

Replies to: Can someone read my EC activities and tell me how they look?

• bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 13,894 Forum Champion
    The first thing to do for any college is to find out if ECs are even important to them.
    For Ohio State U, they are considered important. http://oaa.osu.edu/irp/publisher_surveys/IRP_2016_Survey_Main.pdf

Then I would concentrate on the leadership ...What else can you do for the disc golf? Can you start a disc golf club at your school?

What else can you do with photography? Take photos for yearbook/school newspaper?

Is there any theme to your community service? I would also maybe continue one of those.
  • zane2453zane2453 Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    @bopper

I have somewhat close ties with one of the LDGA "leaders", so maybe I could try to find out if there are any open positions I could take in the club (treasurer, etc.). I'm not sure about me starting my own disc golf club, however. I have multiple friends (5-10 people probably) that play every once in a while. Could I just put a sticker on that and call it a club? How official does it have to be to be considered a club? Perhaps I could give our group a name, along with monthly games and t-shirts? Not sure.

I haven't done photography since 9th grade, so I don't think I will further follow that route.

A lot of my community service is miscellaneous, so I'm not sure about that. Again, I have volunteered my time to some disc-golf related community service (helping setting up the course in my town). Maybe I could try to find more community service related to that?
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,501 Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    Keep in mind that for Ohio State, thevkey factors will be your act score, GPA /class rank, and curriculum rigor.
    You don't need to have 10.3-4 is okay. :)
This discussion has been closed.