right arrow
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ehales3 is a rising sophomore at Cornell University. As a high school student, she always thought that she wanted to study in a more urban environment, but has grown to love Ithaca and all that it offers. ASK HER ANYTHING!
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

How badly does a C look on your high school transcript?

rhetoricsrhetorics 9 replies2 threads New Member
So I'm generally an A/B student with 1/2 A's freshman year, 1 sophomore, 2/3 this year (as a junior), with the rest B+'s, but this year (my junior year) I got a 79 in Spanish. How badly does this look on my application when I apply to colleges like Colgate and USC. Given my extracurriculars would they balance out?

I do: Violin, Model UN, the school newspaper, drama (stage crew and acting), chorus, vocal ensemble (selective chorus essentially), art, young entrepreneurs, and football.

Would all of these sort of cancel out with the one C in language? Do colleges really pay attention to languages because I heard that me getting a C in spanish doesn't affect me that much since I'm planning to major in engineering and every year I have generally gotten an A in math and science.
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: How badly does a C look on your high school transcript?

• Erin's DadErin's Dad 34104 replies4820 threads Super Moderator
    One C won't throw you out of the mix. The admission standards are holistic for a reason.
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 10781 replies587 threads Super Moderator
    Agree with above. Especially as you have all As in your math and science classes. Work hard to keep a high average in your other classes next year.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity