Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is it easier to get into a university if I already work there?

fakeman200fakeman200 Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
I am 21 years old and currently at a community college. I am applying to a position at a university since I meet all the requirements and exceed all qualifications. If If I were to get the job, would this help my chances of being accepted to this same school when I transfer? My GPA when I intend to transfer will be about a 3.2, while the average acceptance GPA of that school is more than 3.5. The job is also not relevant to my field of study. (My major is also impacted.)

Replies to: Is it easier to get into a university if I already work there?

• gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 5,201 Senior Member
    It's hard to know as schools differ on this. I would think that generally, yes - it helps. With that said, they might feel more compelled to admit someone who had been there for a decade than a few months. In any case, you should be able to use your employment on campus as a good means of exploring the school and connecting with resources who might help you make a compelling case for acceptance even if the admissions itself won't give you preference.
This discussion has been closed.