Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Changes made to Common App essay prompts for 2017-2018 college admissions season. Here they are.

Dave_BerryDave_Berry CC Admissions Expert Posts: 2,314 Senior Member
"... Here is a guide to what’s new in the essay prompts for the 2017-2018 college admissions season ..." ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2017/02/07/changes-made-to-common-app-essay-prompts-for-2017-18-college-admissions-season-here-they-are/

Replies to: Changes made to Common App essay prompts for 2017-2018 college admissions season. Here they are.

• greenteen17greenteen17 Registered User Posts: 600 Member
    Interesting! I wonder if they actually listened to the surveys they gave to everyone that applied with the common app. I'm a senior and in their survey they asked about introducing the last prompt. I'm happy they did; it gives applicants more freedom.
  • marvin100marvin100 Registered User Posts: 9,014 Senior Member
    Nice--thanks for posting!
  • UnhealthyAdmissionAddictionUnhealthyAdmissionAddiction Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    Well, time to get started on my essays i guess.
  • marvin100marvin100 Registered User Posts: 9,014 Senior Member
    CADREAMIN wrote:
    Topic of your choice is baaaaack. Enjoy.

It never really went away--literally any essay could be shoehorned into one of the categories, and I've heard from several adcoms that they don't care about the prompt or category anyway.
  • otoribashiotoribashi Registered User Posts: 505 Member
    if you're applying for fall 2017 (as in, you will be attending the new school this Fall) would you use the old essay or this new one? what if you're a transfer student?
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 10,146 Senior Member
    I'm glad for all future applicants that #7 is back.
  • mohammadmohd18mohammadmohd18 Registered User Posts: 477 Member
    I'm glad as well haha! I'm applying next year....I was about to be guilty of the aforementioned "shoehorning."
  • CathJRCathJR Registered User Posts: 423 Member
    I think these prompts are much improved. When I was looking at the prompts deciding which one to approach I felt excluded from several because I knew my story was not as worthwhile as many others who may have had more struggles than I'll ever know. I would look at them and be like this is the answer they're going to get on most of them, and now I think that anybody has an option to approach any of them. I don't think the option to choose your own prompt is necessary though. I think it's sort of a cheat to be able to submit an essay you've already written for class or something.
  • mohammadmohd18mohammadmohd18 Registered User Posts: 477 Member
    I think it offers more breadth. Having only a few prompts to choose from that are either about obstacles, a challenged viewpoint, or an identity & a couple others pigeonholes you a little bit. At the end of the day, I think the Personal Statement is supposed to be just that: your own personal, unique, maybe idiosyncratic core message that you want to convey.
  • CA1543CA1543 Registered User Posts: 1,562 Senior Member
    As a parent of a DS17 & DS18 - very grateful DS18 has these expanded prompt options!!
  • whitespacewhitespace Registered User Posts: 1,021 Senior Member
    I like the last, open-ended prompt. But I can also see it producing some very... interesting essays.
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers Registered User Posts: 2,097 Senior Member
    Agree with @OHMomof2

Focus on the writing quality. A well-written essay will catch a person's attention regardless of the topic.

But if you find one that's funny? So much the better.
  • OneNormalKnightOneNormalKnight Registered User Posts: 153 Junior Member
    Time to get writing...