Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

College Admissions: Getting Into College Is Now Easier, A Surprise For Most Students

124»

Replies to: College Admissions: Getting Into College Is Now Easier, A Surprise For Most Students

• PadreDeTresPadreDeTres Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    edited March 19
    Are there reliable data on the number of schools applied to per applicant? My impression is that the applicants with top stats are getting multiple acceptances, though they may be truly interested in a few schools and, obviously, can only attend one. I think the big spike in UC applications this year probably made it a lot harder for the Admissions people to determine which applicants are sincerely interested in their specific campus.

This season feels like an arms race. Back in the day, I applied and was accepted to one UC campus. Not so now. I think the article is misleading. Yes, it might be getting easier get into college. Just not the one you want.
  • PortercatPortercat Registered User Posts: 346 Member
    It will be interesting as the parent demographic changes from Boomer to Gen X. Overall the Gen X generation was hit really hard by the housing crisis and doesn't have the accumulated wealth to float college costs the same way, generally speaking as in the past. And college is more expensive. Bad combination.
  • ProudpatriotProudpatriot Registered User Posts: 1,401 Senior Member
    Gen X is also a much smaller demographic. There was a significant decrease in the birth rate from 1965-1980.
124»