Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

4 Standout College Application Essays on Work, Money and Class

Dave_BerryDave_Berry CC Admissions Expert Posts: 2,313 Senior Member
"Each year, we issue an open casting call for high school seniors who have dared to address money, work or social class in their college application essays. From the large pile that arrived this spring, these four — about parents, small business, landscapes and the meaning a single object can convey — stood out. A fifth essay lives in The New York Times’s new Snapchat Discover." ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/12/your-money/standout-college-application-essays.html

Replies to: 4 Standout College Application Essays on Work, Money and Class

• MaterSMaterS Registered User Posts: 1,309 Senior Member
    Caitlin McCormick's parents are the owners of the bed and breakfast she writes about in her essay. They took over the business from her grandparents in 2003.

I am confused why she writes about guests not tipping her parents. I thought you don't tip the owner of a business.

• fretfulmotherfretfulmother Registered User Posts: 1,843 Senior Member
    I didn't like McCormick's essay either - the tipping was just part of it @MaterS . She sounds obnoxious. Why would a hotel guest "apologize" for arriving later than the reserved time? I always understood that the time of a hotel reservation is the earliest you're allowed to arrive. And then to complain that owning a Bed-and-Breakfast is like experiencing microaggressions based on gender/class/race/ability is specious.
  • JuicyMangoJuicyMango Registered User Posts: 1,183 Senior Member
    @hzhao2004 That's impossible. By being a "middle class or upper middle class kid" you basically resign any chance of having a "standout" essay, one that'll bring tears to the eyes of its readers. An unfortunate side effect of America's broken college system.

Oh well.
  • lander01lander01 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    @Dave, thanks for sharing the 4 very well-written essays! Is there any information about the 4 students' other background (e.g. their test scores, their GPA, etc.). Would like to see how much they think the essay weighs in for the overall admission application. Thanks!
  • 3rdXsTheCharm3rdXsTheCharm Registered User Posts: 244 Junior Member
    @hzhao2004 My "typical middle class or upper middle class kid living in a boring suburb" wrote about working at McDonald's, and how she would have rather been lazy but her parents made her get a job. No sob story, no pulling on heartstrings, just an honest, sometimes witty essay about making fries and chicken nuggets. It got her into some great schools...
  • JasmineArmaniJasmineArmani Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    I wish there was more diversity. Great essays, but definitely needs more diversity.