right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Upcoming changes to the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

early grad

avokaidosavokaidos 12 replies3 threads Junior Member
I am current sophomore in high school and I've been researching early grad and have come up with a lot of mixed reviews and results. I just wanted a few more opinions. I would be graduating with the class of 2018 instead of 2019, as far as my reasoning goes by next year I will have exhausted almost all useful classes that my school offers (the classes i've taken are listed below). I know that maturity is a big concern when it comes to graduating earlier but I don't think that's a huge problem as I already don't mesh too well with people in my grade and all of my friends are juniors and seniors. I am constantly surrounded by people older than me as i've always taken classes that are 1-2 levels above my current grade level and that's never been an issue before. My dream school is UPenn (biochem major) but i'm aware realistically that's a crap shoot for everyone so I plan on applying to a wide variety of reaches, on target, and safety schools.

Stats:
current UW GPA: 3.9/4
current weighted GPA: 4.4/5
ACT - 29 (retaking for hopefully a 32+) with a 9 on essay
SAT- haven't gotten back the scores for may (1240 on PSAT)
freshman year - English II (H) Math II (H) Band III (H) Biology I (H) Gym (CP) Band III (H) Spanish I (CP) World History (H) Civics (H)
sophomore year - American history I (H) Chemisty I (H) Math III (H) Band III (H) APUSH (AP) APES (AP) English III (H) Band III (H) Spanish II (CP)
summer classes - Spanish III (H) Pre calc (H) Anatomy and Physiology (H)
junior/senior year (next year) - Calc AB (AP) Calc BC (AP) Biology 2 (AP) English IV (AP) Band IV (H) Band IV (H) Spanish IV (H) (bio and english are year round AP's)

extracurriculars - President and founder of GSA, Treasuer of PAW club, member of our marching band and varsity winterguard since freshman year, member of beta club, section leader in the symphonic band, member of tri-m, volunteered in the nursery of my church since 2014, volunteered for "love week" since 2014, recipient of the academic bar and letter (3x). My extracurriculars are kind of all over the place but it's all a mix of things I enjoy and next year I plan on joining bio club, HOSA, and NHS.

Any advice or criticism is extremely welcome ! Also i apologize for any typos i'm posting this from my phone and the keyboard can be really glitchy.
Thank you!
9 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: early grad

• avokaidosavokaidos 12 replies3 threads Junior Member
    I am current sophomore in high school and I've been researching early grad and have come up with a lot of mixed reviews and results. I just wanted a few more opinions. I would be graduating with the class of 2018 instead of 2019, as far as my reasoning goes by next year I will have exhausted almost all useful classes that my school offers (the classes i've taken are listed below). I know that maturity is a big concern when it comes to graduating earlier but I don't think that's a huge problem as I already don't mesh too well with people in my grade and all of my friends are juniors and seniors. I am constantly surrounded by people older than me as i've always taken classes that are 1-2 levels above my current grade level and that's never been an issue before. My dream school is UPenn (biochem major) but i'm aware realistically that's a crap shoot for everyone so I plan on applying to a wide variety of reaches, on target, and safety schools.

Stats:
    current UW GPA: 3.9/4
    current weighted GPA: 4.4/5
    ACT - 29 (retaking for hopefully a 32+) with a 9 on essay
    SAT- haven't gotten back the scores for may (1240 on PSAT)
    freshman year - English II (H) Math II (H) Band III (H) Biology I (H) Gym (CP) Band III (H) Spanish I (CP) World History (H) Civics (H)
    sophomore year - American history I (H) Chemisty I (H) Math III (H) Band III (H) APUSH (AP) APES (AP) English III (H) Band III (H) Spanish II (CP)
    summer classes - Spanish III (H) Pre calc (H) Anatomy and Physiology (H)
    junior/senior year (next year) - Calc AB (AP) Calc BC (AP) Biology 2 (AP) English IV (AP) Band IV (H) Band IV (H) Spanish IV (H) (bio and english are year round AP's)

extracurriculars - President and founder of GSA, Treasuer of PAW club, member of our marching band and varsity winterguard since freshman year, member of beta club, section leader in the symphonic band, member of tri-m, volunteered in the nursery of my church since 2014, volunteered for "love week" since 2014, recipient of the academic bar and letter (3x). My extracurriculars are kind of all over the place but it's all a mix of things I enjoy and next year I plan on joining bio club, HOSA, and NHS.

Any advice or criticism is extremely welcome ! Also i apologize for any typos i'm posting this from my phone and the keyboard can be really glitchy.
    Thank you!
    · Reply · Share
  • JMS357JMS357 274 replies26 threads Member
    Since you're planning on doing Biochem, one safety school you should definitely apply for is University of the Sciences (I attend this school :D). You'll definitely get a nice scholarship based on your academics (I think the highest you can get is $18-$22.5k). However, I have friends in Biochem who are doing really well, but they're constantly studying 24/7. So be warned that you're going to have to invest a lot of time. I suggest you look at other safety and match schools because I actually don't know many off the top of my head.

Your EC's are good, but they don't really show depth. Since you're interested in biochem, bio club is probably the closest you have to something that's relevant to your major. Spend junior year looking for things that are related to it, and visit schools (esp. UPenn) to see if biochem is right for you.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 9522 replies511 threads Senior Member
    What are you asking? Do you want to know if you should graduate high school early, or are you trying to figure out your chances? I don't understand why you have ECs and all this extraneous info listed.

Seesm like you are missing classes that top colleges want to see. Here is a useful post: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/1995563-faq-high-school-college-prep-base-curriculum.html#latest

If your goal is a tippy top college, you are not doing yourself any favors by graduating early. Personally,,I don't see a reason why you should rush. Why take summer courses?
    · Reply · Share
  • avokaidosavokaidos 12 replies3 threads Junior Member
    Hi Linda,
    thanks for responding ! to answer your questions im asking both my chances and whether or not i should graduate early. I'm taking the summer courses because i enjoy summer courses and i have nothing better to do over the summer i figure i would further my education. Thank you for that link !
    · Reply · Share
  • herewelearnherewelearn 173 replies69 threads Junior Member
    As Linda pointed out, If your goal is a tippy top college, you are not doing yourself any favors by graduating early.

Here are some of the reasons. Your GPA would be lower than people from your school with four years of HS because of less AP classes. You won't make NMF or AP scholar, less awards in general meaning less college scholarships. Colleges may also treat your application differently too.

If you don't mind to go to your safety school, graduating early is probably be ok.
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 9522 replies511 threads Senior Member
    You do have soemthing better to do over the summer. Become a multidimensional student. Again, if your goal is a top school, you are not helping your cause by doing strictly academic stuff. Use your summer to volunteer, pursue a hobby, get a job, have some fun, or soemthing else worthwhile.
    I do not see Penn happening at all if you graduate early. You are missing a bunch of classes and will simply not have the same type of developed ECs that a school like Penn is looking for.
    · Reply · Share
  • CABoyMomCABoyMom 59 replies0 threads Junior Member
    My concern would be that thus far you've only taken two AP level classes. Next year's 4 APs would be a better representation of your capability to handle a college workload, but if you're planning to graduate next year, you need to apply to college next year, and there won't be enough time for colleges to assess your capabilities (particularly as compare to other students). Some colleges don't consider Freshman grades (and fewer consider Band and Gym grades), so those colleges will only have 1 year to evaluate your performance. That might not be enough....

As you already know, your ACT score is low for tippy top colleges. Also, many colleges want to see Physics on your transcript.

I can't tell you what colleges will think -- the game is changing SO FAST, and the competition is so fierce. My recommendation is to be 100% authentic and be yourself, follow YOUR dreams and do what's best for YOU. Do something meaningful this summer. That's what will shine in an application.
    · Reply · Share
  • ECmotherx2ECmotherx2 2224 replies8 threads Senior Member
    If a student wants to be a competitive applicant at top schools, It helps to have EC's in the area they wish to apply. A student who wants to be a bio or chem major will have an advantage if they have either have had an internship, or have done research within the area.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity