Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Hindering my chances of admission


Replies to: Hindering my chances of admission

  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 6,927 Senior Member
    I can't imagine that happening, sorry to say. You could email an admissions and financial aid office at some colleges there and ask though.

    Take care of your health and emotional well-being first. College is going to still be there. You are young and there is no rush. I can understand wanting to get to college, but the money factor is unfortunately a reality you have to deal with.
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 5,821 Senior Member
    I am so sorry to hear about your mom. Where is your dad? Will he help pay for school? Can you afford Stony Brook or were you planning to live with your mom and commute?

    @sybbie719, if OP can afford Stony Brook, could he spend breaks with his dad or other relatives (in TX) and still retain his NYS residency? How does NYS handle the death of the custodial parent?
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,599 Senior Member
    edited July 10
    Agree, it's generally very difficult.
    Since OP is over 18, I don't think there's an issue with vacations, but does he need to maintain a NY home address, for that residency? A call to Stony Brook may also be in order.

    We don't know where you live now, OP, with whom, or who's helping you with your mom's affairs. (Even if there were no or few assets, there are details to attend to.) Is there another parent or stepparent in the picture?
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 20,828 Super Moderator
    I am sorry for your loss.

    Bear with me:

    Where is your dad, who is your legal next of kin? Is he in NY

    If you were to stay in NYS, where would you live on breaks? is there a possibility that you can stay with your family in Texas on breaks?

    When you filed for financial aid this year, did you let the school know that your mom passed away?

    What does your current financial aid package look like> is stony brook affordable?

    Did the school give you a dependency override based on your situation? IF yes, then I would recommend that you stay in NYS and attend stony brook (your financial aid would most likely be set and you would maintain your in-state residency). See the financial aid people, take copies of your mom's death certificate SS award letters, PA assistance or anything else you have proving support

    If you have no fixed place to live talk to them about being an unaccompanied minor (however, if you have always just lived with your mom and have no relationship with your dad, you will most likely get a dependency override. If your dad is not in your life, minimally you should go to Stonybrook's FA office ASAP and talk to them about your status so that hopefully they will give you a dependency override.

    If you have a 0 EFC, you will get full pell, full tap, your loan of $5500. You may have to borrow additional monies if you don't have the ends? I would also ask for federal work study.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,599 Senior Member
    Remember, OP is 18.
    Talking to SB can also help ensure smooth FA in subsequent years. But you need to tackle their expectations, not just see this as a NY vs TX choice.

    It can sound like a lot of balls to juggle, but is really 'one step at a time.' You get an idea of various details and options, confirm. then can make decisions.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 20,828 Super Moderator
    edited July 10

    Should Stony Brook give op a dependency override (which would not be a stretch given his/her situation), op will keep NYS residency. as long as he stays at stony brook. Getting in-state residency at another SUNY or CUNY would be on a case by case basis and would be a little more challenging

    As stated if OP has a 0 EFC, s/he would get full tap/full pell (or excelsior scholarship if tap and pell does not cover tuition) and loans. Op may need to work summers/on campus to fill the the gap. Op would probably also be eligible for the additional 4k in loans.
  • justroksjustroks Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    @sybbie719 sorry for the late response, life has been pretty hectic lately. So if I get a dependency override, I will be able to "live in Texas" while still maintaining NYS residency?
  • justroksjustroks Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    edited July 17
    @sybbie719 I can stay with my family in Texas during breaks and stuff, but I cannot really rely on being able to have a place to stay in New York as my dad will not be able to pay for the place we have now. (He hasn't worked in the last 20 years and doesn't intend to, sadly)

    My dad currently moves around from Canada to Barbados with making minimal stops in New York. (He has various other women and children.... it's complicated.)

    My aid package at Stony is looking fairly decent so far, I'm still working with them to get everything adjusted to my current situation. I've pretty much accepted the fact that I can't attend a school in Texas without paying full price (unless I take a year off- which I have heard is not a very good idea). At this point I'm just trying to be able to live there on breaks and such and still attend school in NY (atleast for the time being until I can possibly transfer to a private school). In so many words I'm trying to make Texas my home. Is this possible at all?
  • RoaringMiceRoaringMice Registered User Posts: 325 Member
    Once you get to Stony Brook, talk to the exchange office there about doing a year at a uni in Texas as part of your Stony Brook degree. Stony Brook is part of the national student exchange program. You'd normally pay your NY State Stony Brook tuition, and be able to attend one of the listed schools in TX for up to a year:

    In addition, you're welcome to do things like internships over the summers in Texas. This gives you even more productive time in TX, as you pay the lower, in-state rate on tuition in NY, but start to set up a life for yourself in TX. Then, when you graduate Stony Brook, you move to TX.

    If you do decide to transfer to a school in TX, then even if you did take a gap year, you still wouldn't qualify for the in-state rate on tuition at public unis in TX. The thing is, if you're under age 25, it's about where your parents live as much as it is about where you live, and your father doesn't live in TX. So even if you move there, take a gap year, get a job, etc., you still won't get in-state tuition.

    That said, if you do decide to transfer to a school in TX, apply both to public and privates. See where you get in. See what aid each offers you. Calculate what you'll need in loans for each. Then decide where you'll go, or if perhaps you'll even stay in NY. While it is the case that publics in TX will make you pay the out of state rate, that doesn't mean they still won't be cheaper than the privates in TX. You won't really know until you apply and etc. So apply to both types of schools, should the time come.
  • justroksjustroks Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    @RoaringMice if I were to complete one semester at Stony Brook, take a gap year off and live in Texas with my aunt, work and file independently for my taxes, my dad would still be in the picture? I'm 18 I think that as long as I'm a tax independent I should be fine?
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 25,363 Senior Member
    The difficulty for you is that you know where your dad is. Even though you will be independent for taxes, you will be his dependent for financial aid, and you will need his data for the FAFSA until you are 24. If he truly has no income or other financial means, you will face challenges every year because your FAFSA will probably be flagged for verification.

    Have you started classes at Stony Brook? Can you get a meeting with the head of financial aid? Your situation is uncommon. You need to speak with people who can advise you.
  • justroksjustroks Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    edited August 24
    @happymomof1 hmm.... I see. Is a dependency override a possibility?

    I start classes tomorrow so I'll see what can be done about it!
Sign In or Register to comment.