Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Hindering my chances of admission

justroksjustroks Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
edited July 9 in College Admissions
Long story short, my mother died in february 2017. I am currently enrolled to attenddd Stony Brook University in the fall, but am slowly starting to get mixed feelings as my mom was all I had in New York in terms of family. My closest immediate family is in Austin, Texas. I would love to move with them, but this means I was have to attend Austin Community College (ACC) for a year until I become a resident because out of state costs are ridiculous.

However, I aspire to transfer into a more prestigious school one day, which was why I had wanted to attend Stony Brook University (SUNY), as it would give me a better starting platform. Would transferring to a prestigious school be a realistic goal if I were to attend Austin Community College or would it hinder my chances at future transfer? Thanks!

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies to: Hindering my chances of admission

  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 29,518 Senior Member
    I'd say Stony Brook is a better platform to transfer from. But let's be realistic. Most students who didn't have the stats to get admitted as frosh don't magically become better students in college and gain one of the even more competitive transfer spots.
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    I agree with @intparent. Where ever you go, you will need to be very serious about your education and keep a very strong GPA if you want to have any significant chance of either transferring or going to graduate school at a more "prestigious" university.

    I am sorry to hear about your mother. As a parent, I am sure that she was very proud of you and would want you to do well in university.
  • VickiSoCalVickiSoCal Registered User Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    I know a ton of people who didn't get in to their UC of choice, went to community college, got excellent grades and transferred.

    They had excellent test scores and grades in high school as well. That's not why they didn't get in.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 6,924 Senior Member
    Please accept my sympathy for the loss of your mother. In your shoes, I actually think you might be best off going to Texas. If your goal is to transfer after a year, I think going to CC for a year, doing great, and giving yourself time to grieve with some family in the area is a good option. I actually think focusing on prestige at this point should be a low priority. I attended CC and transferred into a four year college. Where you get your degree from is not as important as what oppotunties you make for yourself. And there are some prestigious colleges that make a point of accepting kids from CC. I know Brown is one of them.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,575 Senior Member
    But the UCs have a guaranteed transfer program.

    OP, in general, moving to a state for college disqualifies one from using the time in school to qualify for residency. It's been a while since I looked at Texas, but please make sure you understand the process there.

    My condolences.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 6,924 Senior Member
    @lookingforward , of course, I wasn't thinking of that. I wonder if OP is still a minor? Would it make any difference?
  • justroksjustroks Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    @Lindagaf thank you for the different perspective. I am 18 years old, so I'm no longer a minor.

    @lookingforward I assume UC means University of California? I would need to go to a commmnity college in California to be qualified for that?
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,575 Senior Member
    I'd assume someone under 18 could have a legal custody arrangement. But for 18+, and in the case of a parent's death, not sure. Also probably matters is there is a surviving parent in the picture, even if OP has little contact.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,575 Senior Member
    edited July 9
    OP, many states have 'articulation agreements' or 'guaranteed transfer,' whereby with a satisfactory record at a comm college, you can transfer to a U in that state. Many states have this arrangement. I mentioned UC because Vicki brought it up.

    You bigger issue is affording the costs in Texas. Google 'college residency Texas' or something similar. UT Austin expects a kid to live in Texas a year first or meet some other considerations (work, marriage, etc,) that don't seem to apply to you.

  • justroksjustroks Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    @lookingforward so going to a cc in Texas would not count as me "living here" for 12 consecutive months?
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 6,924 Senior Member
    Lookingforward makes a great point. Maybe it would be best for you to take a gap year and work, establish residency in Texas, then start CC. No idea if you have any financial support, but CC is certainly going to be less expensive than Stony Brook. Try contacting the CC and see if they have any arrangements with local state unis such as lookingforward suggested.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,575 Senior Member
    edited July 9
    Need to live in Texas 12 months prior to enrollment. For a hs grad, most states then require a job and various ways to show you were self supporting and intend to settle there (not just biding time to get in-state rates.)

    Here's one resource. In general, you want to read as much as possible, catch any fine print. http://www.admissions.txstate.edu/future/residency/residencyrequirements.html

    ACC may also have "in-district' requirements.

    Sorry about this wrench.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 14,080 Senior Member
    How about moving to Texas and taking a year off school, working, and getting know the state? Then apply to Texas schools for fall 2018. Check the requirements, but you should be a resident by then since you are an independent student (unless you have a father; if you have no parents living, you are independent).
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,575 Senior Member
    In general, it can be very stressful to make major decisions, (eg, a move,) after the death of a close family member. You want to make sure you're not leaving behind the support of friends and their families- and etc. Or other advisors helping you on administrative matters. Try to weigh the two choices. We know this is hard, but try to figure, for you, which safety net works best.
  • justroksjustroks Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    @lookingforward @Lindagaf Do you think any state school in Texas would waive their out of state tuition due to my circumstance if I were to apply for spring 2018? Is this even a possibility?
Sign In or Register to comment.