Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

How common is it to be denied from ALL of your reach schools?

2»

Replies to: How common is it to be denied from ALL of your reach schools?

• Muad_dibMuad_dib Registered User Posts: 550 Member
    They're called "reach" schools for a reason.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 62,990 Senior Member
    Common. Make sure that you have affordable safeties that you like.
  • hzhao2004hzhao2004 Registered User Posts: 495 Member
    I''d recoommend applying to Princeton SCEA because you won't have any regret. If you get into UPenn ED, you would always have that nagging thought of what if.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,599 Senior Member
    No one can predict you'll be admitted to highly competitive colleges.
    This isn't just about stats and some activities, most of which are in the hs. You need to know more about how to position yourself.
  • momcincomomcinco Registered User Posts: 979 Member
    You are getting some good feedback, OP. I would reiterate the importance of thrashing out your strategy NOW (you might have more time in the summer? and it will make you feel more prepared come admissions season).

Diversity fly-ins -- see post #19 -- can give you a better idea of your level of selectivity. They can also help you figure out environmental preferences like big/medium/small schools, LAC versus research university, campus vib and the famous "fit," geography and level of comfort for being far from home.

Be very honest with yourself about Early Action and what you can or can't live with.

Others have already stated it, but it bears repeating...Be sure you have schools you are reasonably sure you can 1) afford 2) get into and 3) love being part of.

I hope you will come back and keep us posted!
  • AmduseusAmduseus Registered User Posts: 78 Junior Member
    Thanks for all of the feedback, everyone. I haven't heard much about diversity fly-ins until now, but I'll definitely look into them, especially how several people have suggested them. I'm not sure how much time I'll have to do any during the school year, but if the opportunity arises I'll go for it.

I'll also start thinking more about scholarships. I've been so focused on looking at different colleges and preparing for the application process that I haven't given much thought to them.
  • HardOREasyHardOREasy Registered User Posts: 375 Member
    very common
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 31,523 Senior Member
    Diversity fly in applications are due between now and mid August, some already took place or take place over the summer. Hurry :)
2»