Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Maintenance will occur on the site beginning at 10:00 am PT tomorrow morning. While it is very unlikely, this may result in intermittent down time. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

Number of AP'S

JasmineArmaniJasmineArmani Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
edited July 17 in College Admissions
Would colleges look at my application in a weird way when they see that I didn't take any AP'S my freshman year. I go to a low SES High school that does not offer any AP's freshman year, only one AP sophomore year, two AP's junior year and as many AP's as you want junior year(only the ones they offer though). Is there a place that I can put this in my common application?

Replies to: Number of AP'S

• Muad_dibMuad_dib Registered User Posts: 571 Member
    edited July 17
    APs aren't even offered to freshman at our HS, either. Don't worry about it.

Some HSs stick the "AP" tag on to classes that reall aren't AP, but it makes it look like more of their students are in AP classes. I question whether any freshman classes should be labeled "AP.".
  • ThinkOnThinkOn Registered User Posts: 378 Member
    Your guidance counselor will submit your school's profile to allow admissions officers to get a better understanding of the offerings available at your school. A student can only take advantage of those opportunities that are available to him/her, and the admissions officer will know that that through the school profile. So don't worry, just challenge yourself by taking the most rigorous courses available to you at your school and spend time finding out what you are interested in and pursue those interests. Good luck!
  • JasmineArmaniJasmineArmani Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    @Muad_dib Wow. My school does the same thing. Most of the AP's they "claim" to offer aren't as rigorous as they ones you would take in a well funded competitive High school. And don't even get me started on grade inflation in my High school :-<
    It would be instructive to read what the College Board says about AP classes:
    The AP Program recognizes the autonomy of secondary schools and districts in setting AP course participation policies that best meet their students’ unique needs and learning goals. At the same time, AP courses are specifically designed to provide challenging, college-level coursework for willing and academically prepared high school students. Student performance on AP Exams illustrate that in many cases AP courses are best positioned as part of a student’s 11th and 12th grade academic experience. Some subject areas, however, such as World History and European History, can be successfully offered to academically prepared 10th grade students.

Educators should be mindful of the following when considering offering AP to younger students. AP courses are rarely offered in 9th grade, and exam results show that, for the most part, 9th grade students are not sufficiently prepared to participate in a college-level course. Therefore, the College Board believes these students would be better served by coursework focusing on the academic building blocks necessary for later, successful enrollment in college-level courses. Many college admissions officers support this position, feeling that students should not be rushed into AP coursework, but should instead develop the necessary skills and conceptual understandings in foundational courses prior to enrolling in AP. AP coursework completed in 9th grade is not often deemed credible by the higher education community.
    @ThinkOn Thank you :)
    edited July 17
    @Muad_dib I didn't even know that they said that about AP's. When I come on here and see like freshmans taking 4+ AP classes I'm like: "You literally just finished middle school, this is a time to explore things that you like, hobbies, interests." But then again, if they can handle it then there is no problem, but most are obviously taking it because they want college admission officers to know that they are taking the most rigorous courses that their school offers, which is understandable.
    @JasmineArmani : I suspect there is a a lot of "AP loading" going on to impress colleges. At our HS, there is a definite distinction between "honors" and "AP" classes. My daughter is starting HS next year and she's very bright (all A's in MS) and there literally wasn't an AP class available to her. The first one would be History in 10th grade. I honestly don't know how freshmen can sign up for even 2 or 3 AP classes. I can see maybe one if they're very advanced but that should be the exception rather than the rule.