Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Getting into college was the easy part. Staying there is becoming harder than ever, experts say.

Dave_BerryDave_Berry CC Admissions Expert Posts: 2,311 Senior Member
"However difficult getting into college may have been, it turns out, college admissions officials say, that that may have been the easiest part of the transition to college life. Inadequate preparation, unrealistic expectations and other issues that college freshmen don’t anticipate can become important obstacles to happiness and success.

With about one-third of undergraduates transferring at one point in their careers and an even bigger percentage of students who drop out for financial and other reasons, staying in college is becoming increasingly hard for many students.

So what do students and parents need to know to avoid disaster?" ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2017/08/14/getting-into-college-was-the-easy-part-transitioning-to-college-life-is-becoming-harder-than-ever-experts-say/?utm_term=.99316f45bba7

Replies to: Getting into college was the easy part. Staying there is becoming harder than ever, experts say.

• paul2752paul2752 Registered User Posts: 4,590 Senior Member
    I honestly think getting enough experience for jobs are harder than ever.
  • incomingfreshmanboyincomingfreshmanboy Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Stating the obvious.
  • fragbotfragbot Registered User Posts: 233 Junior Member
    I liked the concept of [para.] "college shouldn't be framed as the best four years of your life but the most four unique years."
  • citymama9citymama9 Registered User Posts: 1,665 Senior Member
    Excellent article!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ekdad212ekdad212 Registered User Posts: 123 Junior Member
    Good article. Anecdotally, I've seen unexpected things from the classmates of my kids, both undergraduates. I've seen the HS sports star drop out after one semester and now works at the local pet shop, I've seen another make it five semesters before dropping out and now works at the local bowling alley. I've seen yet another suffer a mental breakdown after two semesters at big city school and now attends the local CC, and on and on. But, I've also seen kids excel in college that were good HS students but not academic superstars.

Although kids dropped out when I was an undergrad many moons ago, I think things have shifted a bit, where there's a bigger focus now on "getting in" than there is on teaching kids basic life skills and independence needed to stay in.
  • lolita127lolita127 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    edited August 24
    The problem for me isn't so much the work. And yes, getting into college was much easier than staying in college! Its much more difficult to keep up with FAFSA, financial aid, tax transcripts etc... My high school teachers well prepared me for college. The problem for me staying in school is costs. I graduated in 2015 and I still cannot find a steady path to finish my college career because I do not have the economic means. I am still very fickle because of my career choice and tuition costs. Please review my forum if you have any advice. 8-|
  • Chocolate-TacoChocolate-Taco Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    Heath Einstein, dean of admission at Texas Christian University, said: “In some ways, the struggle to adjust from their cocoons to a new environment are no different from decades past. The difference, though, is that they arrive less equipped to handle independent living.”

I wonder what some of the most important causes are.
  • merlionmerlion Registered User Posts: 144 Junior Member
    I think the main cause is that getting into college now requires vastly different skills than it used to. I mean, look at tucsonmom's list of advice... in the past, independence, responsibility, adaptability, etc all helped high schoolers get into college. Now, the focus of the application process is very different. Moreover, the population of applicants was more self-selecting. If students lacked those skills or felt that they lacked the academic qualities to survive in college, they would've felt more comfortable taking another path. Now the expectation is that everyone will attend--so, of course, unqualified people feel forced into going to college when maybe they'd be more successful elsewhere. Then, of course, there's the cost...
  • bzss7xbzss7x Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    @tucsonmom I love those tips! May I humbly add one more?

15. Get to class super early the first day.
    Notice who comes in first and if they go to the front and center. If so, you've found your study or group partner. Chances are they are a strong student.
  • Chocolate-TacoChocolate-Taco Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    @tucsonmom I'd also like to add one:

16. You'll find meaning the quality of the classes and activities you choose, rather than the quantity; choose carefully and contribute significantly for the best value!