Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

New Study Highlights How College Visits Boost Admissions Chances At Selective Colleges

124»

Replies to: New Study Highlights How College Visits Boost Admissions Chances At Selective Colleges

• lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 23,731 Senior Member
    edited September 4
    Oh, come on. Don't apply if you aren't "interested enough" to research the college and learn why you are a match for them (not just why *you* want them.) Then, to wisely show it on the app and any supp. Who's gaming whom? Top schools want kids who can think. Not, "Ok, I visited, that shows I'm a super duper candidate and promises I'll yield."

There is no fairy dust protecting a kid just for visiting.

• whatisyourquestwhatisyourquest Registered User Posts: 530 Member
    edited September 4
    I agree completely. Don't apply if you aren't interested enough to explore department websites, meet with university representatives at local college fairs, or visit the campus (family budget permitting). And, of course, demonstrating your interest still doesn't guarantee anything. There are no guarantees.

But also don't apply, thinking that you have a shot, because the university declares that demonstrated interest doesn't matter. Don't feed the ratings beast.

Btw, it's not just me questioning the motives of universities that say that demonstrated interest is not a factor in admissions:

https://www.ivycoach.com/the-ivy-coach-blog/college-admissions/4-things-colleges-tell-applicants-simply-arent-case/

"Many colleges will say that visiting campus doesn’t factor into the equation when an admissions officer is weighing your admission. And why should college say otherwise? It is in the interest of every college in America — even Harvard — to encourage as many students to apply as possible (even unqualified applicants). The more students who choose to apply, invariably the lower the school’s admission rate will be and the higher the school will be ranked in the all-important US News & World Report college ranking. Suggesting that visiting matters doesn’t serve the college because it only discourages students who haven’t visited from applying since they think their odds will be diminished."
  • observer12observer12 Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    GnocchiB made a very good point. There is a set of private schools where college admissions officers are almost guaranteed that certain admitted students will enroll. The best way to demonstrate interest is to attend one of those schools and have your private school's admissions counselor vouch for you.

Compare that to a typical huge magnet public high school where outstanding students -- often with less guidance whose parents (if they were even born in the US) did not attend Ivies -- may be applying to Yale, Princeton, Penn and Columbia (if not more) and experience has proven that those students are just as likely to turn down an acceptance as to enroll. They have one school guidance counselor for 100 students and the counselor has no idea what the preferences of each student are, nor would they be very reliable if they did.

College Admissions officers are judged on the yield of the class they admit. They need to have some well-qualified "guarantees". So when it comes to deciding between a well-qualified student from a private school where they know a student is 99.99% likely to attend, or a well-qualified student from a public school who will probably have a number of good choices and the likelihood of enrollment is 50/50, does one get a boost because of "demonstrated interest"?
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 61,522 Senior Member
    The strongest way to show a high level of interest is to apply ED if the college offers it.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 23,731 Senior Member
    Imagine applying ED and not being able to show you know the school beyond "you have my major."

Thousands in competition but your trump card is you visited? Nope.
  • billcshobillcsho Registered User Posts: 16,114 Senior Member
    Believe it or not, the adoption of CA has led to many more applications and some of them are partly because of the little additional effort. Unlike the old days that you go through the school information package before filing the application, now some students just look up the list and add to the application. For instance, the applicant pool at UMich doubled after joining CA. I doubt there are suddenly many more students interested in UMich.
124»