Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Does a classroom monologue count as an EC?

metapolymathmetapolymath Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
Hi guys. Sorry if I write too long. I am taking a gap year to fill in some ECs, and when I was filling the common app, something struck my mind: can I include my monologue in the activities section? It was in tenth grade. In our English class, we were taught a very unconventional story. It was called "Virtually true" (I think), and it was about a boy's adventure in virtual reality games. After the class, I thought of writing a monologue (basically a long speech) on the history of video games. So I gathered TONS of info, wrote the speech, but was shy to speak. So my friends convinced me to speak, and requested our teacher to let me do so. So my monologue lasted for HALF-AN-HOUR without any break, and everyone, including my teacher, clapped. I felt like I had actually accomplished something. So the bottom line: should I include this in my ECs? Will the admissions officers count it? Or will they laugh it off? I committed a lot of time into crafting and then condensing it. Moreover, I am applying for Computer Science. So would this speech, in the opinion of colleges (especially selective ones), somewhat demonstrate my interest in computer science (as in the speech, I mentioned various kinds of technological advances and world records, not just release dates)??? Please help me, I am at a crucial stage.

Replies to: Does a classroom monologue count as an EC?

• metapolymathmetapolymath Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    P. S. : I am an international applicant.
  • happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 18,135 Senior Member
    Absolutely not -- it was work done for a class. An EC is something done entirely outside of your academic classes. Many many students write long speeches, write long research papers etc. for class and it is definitely not an EC.
    @happy1 but it can't be exactly said that I did it FOR the class, can it? I wasn't asked to do it. I took the initiative to do it, and since I didn't have any audience (because I hadn't participated in a speech competition or such), I decided to do it in a class. So would it still not be counted as an EC? D:
  • happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 18,135 Senior Member
    My opinion is that it is not an EC. It was not done for any group/organization outside of your class. Ultimately it is your application so the decision is yours.
  • me29034me29034 Registered User Posts: 1,203 Senior Member
    I agree this is not an EC. ECs are activities outside of the classroom. You did this is a classroom. It doesn't matter that it wasn't required.
  • CorinthianCorinthian Registered User Posts: 1,410 Senior Member
    Can you get a letter of recommendation from the teacher that discusses the monologue and how unique and interesting it was? I agree that it isn't an EC. At my kids' high school, it's quite common for students to be assigned to research and prepare an oral presentation. Also, it's not comparable to a speech competition. Both of my kids have participated in speech & debate. When you go to a tournament you may give your speech 5-6 times in a day, in competition with other speakers, and receive ballots back from multiple judges ranking you and giving feedback. To win an award you have to advance through multiple rounds of competition. Making a single presentation to a class isn't the same.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 6,895 Senior Member
    Add this to the additional information section. It isn't an EC, but you feel that it is notable and it is important to you. It may not make a difference between acceptance and denial, but it is not going to be a negative. I think you should add it.
  • mom2twogirlsmom2twogirls Registered User Posts: 1,044 Senior Member
    I wouldn't consider it an EC but it does sound like an experience that could be incorporated into essays.
    Thanks for all your help, people! @Corinthian it's pretty complicated to get a rec letter from 10th grade English teacher :( , as she is in the middle school section of our school (in Indian curriculum, 11th and 12th grade is considered as secondary/high school, so it's separated from the rest). Moreover, I already got a letter from my final year's English teacher. Also, I wasn't comparing it to a speech competition, sir; I meant that since I wasn't in a competition as such, a classroom was the only place where I could speak. @Lindagaf well I think it must be left out if it doesn't add much to the app D: . @mom2twogirls my main hobby is art, ma'am. Though video games did play a part in persuading me to draw, I won't be able to incorporate this monologue into my essays, I think. But nevertheless, thanks again to all of you!