Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

High School EC (Jazz piano vs Classical piano vs Harpsichord)

PianoWinterfellPianoWinterfell Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
Hi guys! I'm asking this question out of curiosity...How are classical piano and jazz piano EC weighted differently in college admission? For someone who has played classical piano for 10 years and is interested in jazz piano as well, is it better to start learning jazz piano or focus all energy and time on classical piano? Or use the time for learning jazz piano instead on taking French classes outside of school?

All advices are appreciated!!!

Replies to: High School EC (Jazz piano vs Classical piano vs Harpsichord)

• happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 18,135 Senior Member
    Do whatever you like. It won't make a difference for college admissions.
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 2,619 Senior Member
    Are you going to be a music major? If not then I agree with @happy1, take whichever you want to take. If it were me I would take a year of jazz piano because this might be your last chance for a while to put a significant amount of effort into it.
  • PianoWinterfellPianoWinterfell Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    Just a curious question: How is harpsichord as an music EC?
  • happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 18,135 Senior Member
    It is fine. Any instrument is fine as an EC but won't get you into a college you are not otherwise qualified to attend.
  • MassmommMassmomm Registered User Posts: 2,793 Senior Member
    As the owner of a harpsichord my husband built, I think it's just fine!
  • zoebrittanyzoebrittany Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    @pianowinterfell - many pages ago, you posted the following question which I responded to:

08-21-2017 at 12:28 am in College Admissions
    Hi guys!
    I'm a cello student in the Juilliard Pre-college program, and was curious if anyone could share any opinions about chances at ivy leagues. I go to a regular school (Christian school) for academics (which isn't competitive at all and does not offer any rigorous classes like honors and APs) and I get almost straight As. Besides that, I have some major cello accomplishments from a few years ago. Would appreciate if anyone could share some opinions about my chances, or general admissions to ivy league for high school students in conservatory pre-college programs!

08-21-2017 at 8:23 am
    @PianoWinterfell - Princeton has a performance major. Harvard offers a joint degree with NEC. Columbia offers a joint degree with Julliard. Starting this year, for the first time, students can apply to the Yale College and simultaneously audition for the School of Music. However, unless you already have a professional career - like Yo Yo Ma did when he went to Harvard - your academics, standardized test scores, LOR, community service, ECs, etc., will have to be as strong as any other candidates' seeking admission. Of course, there is also Northwestern and Oberlin which have undergraduate conservatories and where your academic record won't matter as much. You might want to think about applying for a Presidential Scholar award since the music part of it should be fairly easy for you. Best of luck!

You didn't respond to my post, so I'm very surprised to see you asking now whether you should apply to college as a harpsichordist or pianist. Honestly, unless you currently play piano at a professional level you have a much better chance of gaining admission to college as an accomplished cellist. Best of luck!
    So sorry I forgot to go back to that post! To clarify this post---I became interested in learning jazz piano this year, and was wondering how I could use my time wisely. Should I take some time to start a new passion, or use all my time on the activity I've been pursuing all along
    I'm not applying as a harpsichordist----it was asked out of curiosity...
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 6,895 Senior Member
    edited September 13
    It's obviously less common than a violin, piano or clarinet. It might arouse the curiosity of an AO.
  • worriestoomuchworriestoomuch Registered User Posts: 119 Junior Member
    @pianowinterfell - you posted two, almost identical, threads about whether applying to colleges as a "jazz pianist, classical pianist or harpsichordist" provides any advantage in the admissions process. For anyone reading these posts, it is important to point out that significant musical accomplishment (like athletic accomplishment) may help a student gain admission to a college only when musical activities are valued, supported and performed at a very high level at those colleges. First and foremost, however, those students must meet the academic standards of the college's admissions staff. In my experience, all of the many extremely talented and accomplished musicians - singers, instrumentalists, composers, etc., - who gained admission to great schools, with great music programs, never saw their musical activities in high school as a "hook" or as a means of achieving admission to college. Without exception, they have all loved and pursued music for its own sake. But I think the same can be said of the majority of exceptional, inspired students who gain admission to selective schools by pursuing their academic, artistic, athletic "passions"wherever they may lead them.