right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Where are you in your admissions process? (class of 2018)

arianarlewarianarlew 2 replies1 threads New Member
Hello to you all,

I am just curious... where are you in your admissions process? Have you finished your essays? Are you applying for early action? Have you finished the common app? What is your timeline like?

I am a competitive swimmer so I am looking for colleges with a good swim team and a Sports Management, Atheltic training, or Business management degree. I have finished my part on the common app but I am still waiting to turn them in because of my letters of recommendation--which I am still waiting for. I am still applying to other schools and for my essay, I am just tweaking a little bit of it. I am also taking the SAT in October to raise my score. I feel like I should be doing more. I want an idea of what the majority of you all are doing.

Thanks!
38 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Where are you in your admissions process? (class of 2018)

• pkchamp89pkchamp89 612 replies0 threads Member
    edited September 2017
    My S is ready to push the submit button on all his apps. He did so much over the summer so that he could enjoy his senior year and focus on academics and.... socializing (yes...the true reality) There are so many activities for the senior class, homecoming, senior day, etc.. it seems like something every week. I can't image him having the applications, essays, etc hanging over his head at this point.

He just needs to go over them with a fine tooth comb before he submits them. Once that is done, he can relax and start the waiting process. Not quite sure "relax" is the correct word when it comes to the waiting. :))
    edited September 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • SejoonjppppSejoonjpppp 16 replies1 threads New Member
    @pkchamp89 What were his standardized stats?
    · Reply · Share
    @Sejoonjpppp He is a straight A student with 8 APs and all the boxes checked off for everything else except the SATs. Just not a great test taker. Both sections in the 600's. He plans on ED his first choice. Hopefully it works our. Crossing our fingers!
    · Reply · Share
  • VegasRollerVegasRoller 149 replies6 threads Junior Member
    My son is done with all but one application. Had to apply to many schools due to low chances of getting in. May have to fill out a Coalition App in addition to Common.
    · Reply · Share
  • billcshobillcsho 18315 replies91 threads Senior Member
    MY D2 will submit her first application in 2 weeks.
    · Reply · Share
    Just to add to above... he is applying to a total of 8 schools. 1 ED, 5 EA and 2 RD. If he gets accepted in the ED round he will just withdraw all other apps. He just wanted to be done with the process. Probably not the most cost effective way to approach it but it is what it is.
    · Reply · Share
  • RecusantSamRecusantSam 110 replies7 threads Junior Member
    D's stuff all away as of last night! We're slower than some, as some of her friends have already received acceptances. Now on to the FAFSA...
    · Reply · Share
  • noanswersnoanswers 198 replies0 threads Junior Member
    @arianarlew Are you competitive enough of a swimmer to get recruited? If so, and if you haven't yet done so, you might want to start contacting coaches asap to see if they are able to either recruit or at the very least give you admission support. We just submitted the application last week to an Ivy school, and comes this Monday will receive the decision on a Likely Letter. Then no more college worries for the rest of senior year.
    · Reply · Share
  • snowfairy137snowfairy137 2052 replies32 threads Senior Member
    Everything but the essays done and I've applyed to one school that didnt need an essay. Im applyng to 4-5 that are early action, rolling or have regular deadlines from November 1st to December 1st.
    · Reply · Share
  • tsfanclassof2018tsfanclassof2018 4 replies1 threads New Member
    I am applying to 5 schools all ED on November 15th. I've finished most of the applications but still working on getting recommendations and essays done. Pretty nervous about finding out if I get in!
    · Reply · Share
    ^ Did you mean 5 schools EA?
    · Reply · Share
  • Marg532Marg532 440 replies8 threads Member
    edited September 2017
    I sent in my 2 EA applications a couple days ago, and am currently waiting until me and my mom can actually sit together in order to send out the other 3 apps because they all require fees (I need her credit card number haha).

By the way @arianarlew I talked to my counselor a couple days ago about it and she said you don't have to wait for the recommendation letters to be filled out in order to send your apps. They're two different things and as long as the recommender sends them in before the deadline, then it's all good.
    edited September 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • tsfanclassof2018tsfanclassof2018 4 replies1 threads New Member
    Yes, @pkchamp89 I meant EA
    · Reply · Share
  • arianarlewarianarlew 2 replies1 threads New Member
    Oh thank you. this is nice to know!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • arianarlewarianarlew 2 replies1 threads New Member
    Yes. I just have an upcoming meet in October so I am waiting to send everything together...
    but idk if that is a good idea.
    · Reply · Share
  • bjkmombjkmom 7948 replies160 threads Senior Member
    Well, my daughter worked late last night, so she's still asleep.

She has 4 applications in. She's finishing up her Common app essay, so the rest should go in very soon-- maybe this weekend?

She's a B student, applying to mostly SUNY schools, no EA or ED.
    · Reply · Share
  • melvin123melvin123 1859 replies32 threads Senior Member
    My D hasn't submitted any yet and is planning on submitting 2 in the next 2 weeks: those are the only schools that have early action. None of the schools she is applying to have any advantage/disadvantage to applying much before the deadline.....no rolling admisiions or rolling financial aid. Her GC told me that both teacher recommendation letters were submitted to the GC this week. After the 2 EA applications are submitted my D will keep working on supplemental essays and plans on submitting to her other colleges just before Thanksgiving break so she can enjoy the holiday. Note that except for another 2 schools that have to be in by Dec 1 for merit aid consideration, all the other applications aren't due until January, so the submission is still early.

I think the group that you are asking, CCers, tend to do things very early so you shouldn't panic that some people are getting acceptances and you haven't submitted yet. Just do anything rolling first and keep your eye on the deadlines. But if you have your end of things together, why not just press the submit button? You can then email your GC that you've done that and when will he/she be able to submit their stuff for you?
    · Reply · Share
  • BarekkBarekk 148 replies1 threads Junior Member
    I have done everything on my apps except the financial aid forms, once those are done , im submitting most of my apps
    · Reply · Share
  • bjkmombjkmom 7948 replies160 threads Senior Member
    To put it in perspective, a lot of the seniors I teach are still working on their essays.
    · Reply · Share
  • BKSquaredBKSquared 1640 replies8 threads Senior Member
    Agree with @melvin123 and @bjkmom that posters here are more likely ahead of schedule. S last year was on 2 tracks. He was still doing OV's with some D3 programs but also had his eye on some other schools, including one where he would most likely apply SCEA if he decided not to play ball. He pretty much had completed the non-essay portions of the Common App and was working through his essays, including the essays for the state flagship honors program and his top few choices. He had already asked 2 teachers to write his LoR's when school started. He also had a schedule of when he would complete all App's, with his top choices scheduled first and bottom choices last. Assuming he would not opt to ED to a recruit school (he opted not to), he planned to submit to the state flagship and his SCEA school before the end of October. He also had his next 4 choices ready to go by mid Dec when he heard from his SCEA school. The point about the schedule was to space the applications over time. He also put together a matrix of school specific essays, identifying the subjects and word limits. It was easy then to see common themes with perhaps slightly different word limits.

OP, it may be too late to get recruited, but contacting the coaches with times, awards/honors, gpa and test scores is worth a shot. They may have recruits that dropped off for whatever reason (going to another program, negative read from admissions if you are talking Ivies or D3's). Best of luck.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity