Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is Losing Your College Essays an Extenuating Circumstance?

2»

Replies to: Is Losing Your College Essays an Extenuating Circumstance?

• snowfairy137snowfairy137 Registered User Posts: 2,081 Senior Member
    Same thing happened to me yesterday but I dont think I have much rewriting to do, it was just a couple half finished drafts that I lost, the rest is in the portals. I feel your pain though, good luck!
  • doodlekeeperdoodlekeeper Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    First off- thank you everyone for the advice, everything ended up fine in the end and I was accepted into every college I applied to except one. A little late for an update, sure, but you'll see why in a second.

Now. It's been months since I first wanted to say this, but I held off because I'm passive and don't like to create conflict. But this has been bothering me for months so I need to say this: @millie210, you didn't need to be so nit-picky with my original post! I know this is insignificant, and if you never respond or see this that's okay- but this is something I wanted to get off my chest. I typed my post with an injured dominant hand in roughly two-three minutes. Surely you realize I spent more time with/put more care into my college essays? Just because I made one or two mistakes in my post doesn't mean losing my college essays was a "blessing in disguise", and I resent you for saying so. The writing prowess I display in an informal forum setting is not indicative of my overall writing abilities. I spent a significant time on my essays and was devastated to lose them: so for you imply that I was somehow better off to have lost them was inherently hurtful.

I hope you don't take this as a personal attack; I just hope you come to understand how your words were hurtful to someone who came looking for genuine advice and was told that she was such a poor writer she was better off having lost so much of her hard work. At this point, there's almost no point in writing this, but I figure I have nothing to lose and I've been trying to share my feelings more so... that's that. Much love xx
  • millie210millie210 Registered User Posts: 481 Member
    I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you. I see an astonishing number of people on CC who use or spell words incorrectly. Even taking into account errors from autocorrect and the fact that most people, including me, don’t write as carefully in a place like CC as they do when they need to write more formally, it’s clear that there are a fair number of people out there who don’t know as much as they think they do. I had no way of knowing that your mistakes weren’t representative of your general writing ability. I'm entirely sure that there are people who think something done carelessly is done half-hazardly. I’m glad you’re not one of them and that you did so well with admissione.
  • doodlekeeperdoodlekeeper Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    I'm actually surprised you ended up seeing this- your words meant a lot, thank you so much.
  • ACollegeHopeful3ACollegeHopeful3 Registered User Posts: 453 Member
    i feel like the typo in "admissione" is pure irony. OP I'm glad your college process had a happy ending.
2»
This discussion has been closed.