Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

SAT subject tests are NOT truly optional for middle/upper middle class applicants at elite colleges!

Penn95Penn95 Registered User Posts: 2,320 Senior Member
edited October 2017 in College Admissions
I just wanted to post this because I have seen quite a few profiles of kids from upper middle class backgrounds, with top grades and scores applying to the ivies and other elites without having taken the subject tests because they think they are optional.

The subject tests are not really optional for such kids. The tests are truly optional only for kids from low income, very underprivileged backgrounds.

If you come from a middle class or above background and want to have a decent chance at these types of schools, please do not neglect to take subject tests.

Replies to: SAT subject tests are NOT truly optional for middle/upper middle class applicants at elite colleges!

• MomtogirlsMomtogirls Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    I agree completely. According to what has been said at our (high income/high performing) school, sat 2 is required. They name it recommended as to not deter lower income/performing high schools students who may have not been told the sat2 is a 'thing'.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 35,291 Senior Member
    That is what we tell students who ask out here.
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 2,623 Senior Member
    edited October 2017
    It isn't just a necessity to take them, though, you have to do well. Kids I know who do SAT2s and have less than mediocre scores don't really get the message that this is not better than none at all. It is more like a sign to take note of.
  • Penn95Penn95 Registered User Posts: 2,320 Senior Member
    edited October 2017
    @Sybylla absolutely, this is definitely true. But it is especially frustrating to see kids with great SAT scores and strong profiles who could probably have scored very well on the subject tests, mess up their chances because they didn't get the memo.
  • ProfessorMom1ProfessorMom1 Registered User Posts: 366 Member
    It might be helpful to students if we qualify what "elite" means. Are we talking, for example, top 25 of USWR rankings for both universities and liberal arts colleges? Top 10? Top 50? Where does one draw the line? For someone with limited (but available, if necessary) funds applying to schools in that 25-50 rank bracket, can they safely skip the subject tests?
  • abdcfabdcf Registered User Posts: 153 Junior Member
    ^ Would like some opinions regarding my above post. Anyone else have any specific knowledge about NU or talked to an admissions officer from there like I did?
  • PetraMCPetraMC Registered User Posts: 464 Member
    Yes, this is what our college counselor said last year to the whole class. "It's not optional for YOU."
  • GatormamaGatormama Registered User Posts: 1,031 Senior Member
    Please tell me this is not the case at other than elite colleges? I don't think I can handle more test-taking in this household. Kid is aiming for general publics/LACs, def. not top-tier.
  • GatormamaGatormama Registered User Posts: 1,031 Senior Member
    Phew. Thanks.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 72,161 Senior Member
    edited October 2017
    skieurope wrote:
    Almost all publics (except as examples top UC's and UGA don't consider them and do not want them).

Some UCs recommend SAT subject tests for certain majors or divisions (mainly engineering or science) but not others: http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/requirements/examination-requirement/SAT-subject-tests/