Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Am I transfer or freshman?

NotLeviosaaaNotLeviosaaa Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
edited November 14 in College Admissions
Hi. I'm an international student planning to apply this year's regular decision. I am currently a freshman in university(outside U.S, of course). I finished the first semester and I earned 15 credits. I'm still in the first year. If I apply regular decision, my current second-semester score will be out in January, or maybe February, and I will earn total 30 credits.

I'm really confused about my status. Because I'll apply to universities in December, did I just finish one semester? Or full one-year because I'll complete my freshman year before my application results coming out?

Question1
"If you complete your first year at another institution, you will not be applying as a freshman in the Regular Decision pool. Rather, you will apply as a transfer student." Awwww what should I do? Am I transfer?

Question2
"Students with one full-time semester or more of postsecondary education by the time of enrollment should apply as transfer students. Students with less than one full-time semester by the time of enrollment are encouraged to apply as first-year students." What does exactly "enrollment" mean?!? After accepted, or just apply?

Question3
"Once you have completed one year of full-time study at a single college or university, you may apply to our college only as a transfer student." Then how about this? What should I do... plz..

Question4
If my credits are not transferable, then could I apply as a freshman? But most universities don't specify their transferable credits... Then it does mean whether it's transferable or not, if you complete your first year or one semester, YOU MUST APPLY AS A TRANSFER ?!?

Replies to: Am I transfer or freshman?

• Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 34,348 Super Moderator
    With 30 credits you will be a transfer. Time of enrollment is actually when you report to the new college. Yes, you must apply as one.
  • happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 18,206 Senior Member
    Agree, you are a transfer student since you will have competed one year of college before you start at the college you transfer into. You must apply as a transfer student.