Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

10 Colleges Where Early Applicants Have an Edge

2»

Replies to: 10 Colleges Where Early Applicants Have an Edge

• FatherofFour18FatherofFour18 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I agree with Rickle1 that "Many kids are applying to schools they have no real intention of attending, just to see if they get accepted, in case they don't elsewhere." But another driving point is that the current financial aid system masks the actual cost of attending most any University. You have to apply to get a look behind the curtain before you start to get the real information that allows decision making. From an economic perspective, this inefficient pricing mechanism creates great uncertainty and drives higher overall costs. That is the unfortunate world that we all have to navigate.
  • FatherofFour18FatherofFour18 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I would also expand my comment to point out that the ED process allows certain Universities to price discriminate against certain students by requiring a commitment before the grants are known. In essence, they are realizing higher tuition from those students who are less price sensitive and further shift costs to those students who do not fall into "diversity" or other vague and arbitrary categories. This is a classic example of market power and monopsony. It would be better for all to have greater price transparency by limiting "grants" specifically to need based criteria and merit based "scholarships". Hats off to schools such as Hinsdale College that as a matter of principle provide straight forward pricing information and do not run a shell game to exploit prospective students.
2»