Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

If I could change one thing....

Replies to: If I could change one thing....

• indigoturquoiseindigoturquoise Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    ED2!! And apply to all my safeties even after getting into a safety early b/c more options is always better.
  • TheTennisNinjaTheTennisNinja Registered User Posts: 325 Member
    Make sure my essays aligned well with the rest of my application.
  • HogeDotyHogeDoty Registered User Posts: 29 Junior Member
    What do you mean regarding essays?
  • mouva890mouva890 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    I would better explain how my ECs were linked to what I wanted to do in/after college.
  • thetexthetex Registered User Posts: 245 Junior Member
    I would have started working on essays in January of my junior year instead of the summer.
  • traaashtraaash Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
    I would've spent more time on my essays, visit campus, and apply Duke or Rice for ED
  • stevestar888stevestar888 Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    I would have applied EA (to GT, Tulane, Case West, etc) instead of REA to Princeton
  • massmom2018massmom2018 Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    I think my son reached a little too far in the ED round. He is happy where he ended up but I think our family fell for Dartmouth's incessant mailings and invitations to open houses when I could have figured out on here he wouldn't get in. I will keep this in mind with my younger two.
  • angiehallsangiehalls Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    my SAT scores
  • fresh1012456fresh1012456 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I would change one of my rec letters. Read it and it was horrible. Known and been close to the teacher for 4yrs. She has even invited me to her home and out for coffee. The things she has said to me in person were greater that what was said in the page long rec. After reading the rec I felt depressed. There was no way I was going to get in to any school. It was very negative. The school I’m going to didn’t need recs. Needless to say beware of those that are always smiling in your face. Not everything is what it seems
  • desie1desie1 Registered User Posts: 893 Member
    @fresh1012456 How did you get to read the letter? Also, why would a teacher you've known and been close to for four years write you a horrible recommendation letter? That doesn't make sense.
    She let me read it actually after apps were submitted. Too be honest I really don’t know how to answer your question. I know of another kid who is in the same boat as me. It doesn’t make sense to me either. I would go into more detail of what the letter said privately. I have talked to the teacher since and she was somewhat rude. Maybe she was being fake the whole four idk. Besides my family I have had one close friend read the letter. Because she thought maybe I was exaggerating or even lying. To say the least she was shocked
    She talked about none of my accomplishments. Spoke actually of my friend group rather than me. Talked about a few faults of mine they should consider. And also used words that have negative connotations. I’m not sure if it was on purpose. But to me it seemed as though she was trying to allude to me being unfit for these top schools. Idk. It could be because I didn’t apply to the schools she thought would be best for me. I’ll never know. But anyways the relationship seems sour from her end.
  • jzducoljzducol Registered User Posts: 556 Member
    She talked about none of my accomplishments. Spoke actually of my friend group rather than me. Talked about a few faults of mine they should consider. And also used words that have negative connotations. I’m not sure if it was on purpose. But to me it seemed as though she was trying to allude to me being unfit for these top schools. Idk. It could be because I didn’t apply to the schools she thought would be best for me. I’ll never know. But anyways the relationship seems sour from her end.
    Wow, that is a horror story I have not heard on CC for a long time. Either the teacher is just evil or she is woefully ignorant of her power to ruin kids lives. Either way I feel sorry for @fresh1012456 to endure such an unfortunate outcome. I wonder if fresh1012456 can show the letter to the principal so he/she can be alerted of this teacher's behavior and perhaps take away her power of LoRs for future students.