Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

College Admissions Is About to Get Way Less Stressful

Dave_BerryDave_Berry CC Admissions Expert Posts: 2,725 Senior Member

Replies to: College Admissions Is About to Get Way Less Stressful

• momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 3,290 Senior Member
    And a lot can chance economically during this time period.
  • PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 4,543 Senior Member
    International students may fill many vacant seats. Those colleges & universities which offer financial aid to internationals are leading the way.

Let the US serve the higher education needs of the world--or, at least, be a viable option for hardworking, intelligent & ambitious minds regardless of citizenship.
  • foobar1foobar1 Registered User Posts: 178 Junior Member
    It will not get any easier at the "CC Top Universities" or the Ivy plus schools.
  • HuskymaniacHuskymaniac Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    @suzyQ7
    You are on the money, excuse the pun! Americans should not pay to educate non-Americans, period. Funny how China and India don't put huge tariffs on the importation of an American education. Any university that receives federal tax money for any reason should be forbidden to provide any financial aid to foreign students. If someone wants to start a fund for helping foreign students, great, but any donations to that fund should NOT be tax deductible.

I'll take this further, the number of international students should be capped at some number. I am not sure what that number should be or if we are there yet but there should be a limit or, in theory, our universities could be filled entirely by foreign students. Now, I know we are no where near that yet but we shouldn't even get remotely close to that hypothetical scenario. Universities are federally subsidized and, therefore, should be filled to some reasonable percent by American students. We should never get close to the scenario where tax payers can't send their kids to college because the schools are full. And, no, I don't care if the international kids have a better resume. Every American kid who wants to go to college should have the opportunity to do so. Back fill with internationals, not the other way around. It is time for China and India to accelerate the expansion of their own higher education systems.
  • PostmodernPostmodern Registered User Posts: 1,169 Senior Member
    ^^^ I think if you applied this rule to all non-profits, including churches and charities, the argument is understandable. I am sure you do not mean to apply this rule just to colleges, right?
  • suzyQ7suzyQ7 Registered User Posts: 3,672 Senior Member
    edited May 8
    There are too many PHDs anyway, but that is beside the point. PHDs are not getting FA just to study, they are getting paid to do research. International Undergrads are getting discounts just to study.

@Postmodern not sure what you are comparing. Colleges are giving gifts (FA) for foreign students to come study. Those gifts are earned tax free. Do charities give tax free money to foreigners?