Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What do I do with it?

Lovesky215Lovesky215 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
I have this President's Education Awards Program Outstanding Academic Excellence Certificate and I heard from some friends that it can help you get to college. But really . . . what do I do with this? Does it really help me get into college, if so, how? And what else can this certificate do?

Replies to: What do I do with it?

• GoldPennGoldPenn Registered User Posts: 164 Junior Member
    About 3 million students were given this award in 2018. List it on your application under awards and it will be recognized as one of your achievements by college admissions.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 75,546 Senior Member
    https://www2.ed.gov/programs/presedaward/eligibility.html lists criteria. For the number comparison, there are probably about 10-11 million students graduating elementary, middle, and high school every year.
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 Registered User Posts: 1,509 Senior Member
    If you got the award for 8th grade graduation, although it IS an honor, I don't think it will help much for college, since they're really only interested in high school achievements. If you get it for high school graduation and you're applying for a transfer from a CC or for admittance after a gap year, then it looks good and should be listed.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 13,338 Forum Champion
    It is something that you would list on the Common Application to colleges under "honors/Awards".
    Is it a one way ticket to college? No.
    Is it something that can add to your application ? yes.
    Is it the good grades that you got that really colleges care about? Yes.
    <<It is something that you would list on the Common Application to colleges under "honors/Awards".>>

But you don't know you've earned the award until 8th grade graduation or senior year graduation, no?
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 13,338 Forum Champion
    Much like National Honor Society it is not the actual award that colleges like, it is the grades that make you eligible that they are interested in. THe award is a great way to honor all your hard work in front of your community.
    Yes, exactly. DD did not get the award - or know she was getting it - until the day of her 8th grade graduation. I think that is the same for the OP, but I can't be sure. You can't put the high school version of the award on a college application because applications generally go in the fall or winter, and you don't get this award until spring. Of course it go on an application after a gap year or a CC transfer.

DD did list her 8th grade award on her "resume", which she needed in order to apply to two volunteer assignments this summer. I'm not expecting her to put that 8th grade award on any college applications, however.