Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Honors or AP?

2»

Replies to: Honors or AP?

• CTScoutmomCTScoutmom Registered User Posts: 1,891 Senior Member
    How many students apply from your school to the colleges you want to attend? If your school uses Naviance, you can see your own GPA, and see a profile of which students were accepted or rejected at each school (assuming there is enough data to not identify individual students).

It would be helpful to know if the global programs is truly a distinct program, with their own internal class ranking, in which case the GPA of AP courses would be less important. The more familiar an adcom is with your high school, and the global program, the more likely they are to understand the rigor of the classes, and recognize that it may be as rigorous as taking AP classes, but a different path. Keep in mind that some top high schools don't offer AP classes, because they choose their own curriculum that is equally (or even more) rigorous.

When you apply ED or EA, your senior year classes will be listed on your application, even if there are no grades, so colleges will know the rigor of your senior year classes. Again, what you need to know is how colleges view the rigor of the global program.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 13,271 Forum Champion
    1) If you enjoy this global program, keep at it.
    2) Take the AP tests...it is a no lose proposition...if you get good scores, you can use them for college credit. If you get bad scores, don't submit them.
    3) Your school will send colleges a school profile that explains how your "Global" program works. They will explain its rigor. My DD went to a Top 10 in the nation public magnet school that had few "APs" but many courses "taught at the honors level"...the profile explains the rigor of the program and the average SAT scores of the students.
  • fenway1fenway1 Registered User Posts: 24 Junior Member
    Thanks everyone!
    And to answer your question scoutmom, I am not sure how many apply to the schools that I want to however I do know that my dream school (tufts university) accepted 8-10 from my school last year- 8 are attending in the fall. I will check to see if I have Naviance. I hope to apply ED to tufts and I am planning on taking AP US government, AP bio, and AP economics. Also I know this isn’t a chance thread but sophomore year was a 3.4 gpa. I was the class president, Coach of a 4th grade basketball team, DECA member, and I attended a Harvard medical school program this fall that was very hard to get into with an acceptance rate of 13 percent. I have also won multiple sportsmanship awards for my high school baseball and basketball team and am planning on co founding a club with my friend next year.
    Those AP’s that I listed will be for senior year. Junior year will be honors US history and Honors bio with ap exams
    Attended Harvard program this summer***
    And I have a job at a golf course- just some background to give you all an idea if honors will really help me
    And I am shadowing a doctor- possible recommendation
2»