Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Honors or AP?

fenway1fenway1 Registered User Posts: 24 Junior Member
So here’s the deal: at my school we have a program called global which is basically international Baccalaureate. I’ve been in the program for a year (I’m a rising junior) and because I’m in this program I cannot take ap classes. However I am taking honors bio and honors history and because I am in this program, our teachers are encouraging us to take the AP exam at the end of the year because we learn a lot of the same things that AP students will learn. For example, I am doing the same summer work that my fellow AP peers are doing. So basically it’s AP but called honors because I’m in global (IB program). A lot of my friends have told me that it’s looks better to stay in global, take the hardest classes that global has to offer (which I am doing) and then leave senior year and take AP’s. So should I stay in global or leave? Does it look better to take AP’s or to take honors and get a certificate in the global program. PS: I am taking the AP exams if I stay in global honors because the teachers teach the same curriculum and they want us to take them in may.
Please let me know!
Thanks

Replies to: Honors or AP?

• MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 40,680 Senior Member
    edited July 2018
    Take the AP exams in May Jr year.
    Look at the way the school profile describes GLOBAL.
    Is it correct to assume it's similar to IB but not IB? How are the classes weighted? Is being enrolled in global automatically list rigorous?
  • fenway1fenway1 Registered User Posts: 24 Junior Member
    Yes it is similar but not IB. I know that regular and honor classes in global are harder than regular and honor courses taken outside of global but I do not know how they are weighted. Sorry I do not know a ton about gpa and college stuff lol.
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 Registered User Posts: 1,494 Senior Member
    Colleges generally consider AP and IB to be roughly equivalent. Not a lot of high schools offer both. Is your Global program a true IB program? Does it offer the IB exams?

If you can afford the $94-per-test cost for the AP exams, you have little to loose by taking them, since you can choose which ones to submit or not. Before you spend that time and money, however, you should check the admissions requirements for each college of interest to you. Some will offer the same benefits for IB as for AP (either college credit, higher placement, or exemption from a requirement).
    No my global program is not an IB program. I know that being in the global program is harder than being in a regular classes and I would say alittle more prestigious.
    Also I know this is off topic but is it okay to take honors classes? Does it still help the college admission process?
    edited July 2018
    If it is not a true IB program, then go for AP classes senior year. If you will, in fact, receive an IB, then it would be equivalent to a senior year full of APs as far as most colleges are concerned.

GPA is very important, though. Don't take AP classes if you don't think you can do well in them. It is possible to just take the APs related to your work field if you are unsure of your ability to handle the workload. Get tutoring at the first sign of trouble.

In DD's high school, APs are considered higher than honors. They are weighted the same for GPA, but honors classes are considered less rigorous than AP classes (no IB program). I suggest if demonstrating rigor is important in order to get into the colleges to which you aspire, you should talk to your guidance counselor about what classes you would have to take, and then you can evaluate your own potential to do well in them.
    Alright thanks for the advice everyone!
    Also one last question: if I apply early decision to college, do colleges know ur senior year courses/grades? My goal is to apply early decision to tufts.
    I would love tufts to see my ap classes senior year but if I apply early will they see?
    Also, is the best way to gain acceptance early decision is to have amazing junior year grades?
    Your high school will send transcripts at the end of each semester. So, yes. Although they won't have your final grades, they'll make a contingent acceptance.
    So in the end is it okay to take 2-3 honors junior year or do I need to take ap’s Junior year to help me gain acceptance to a few top 50 colleges. Right now I plan on doing honors bio (AP Exam), honors History (AP Exam), and self studying for economics AP Exam (maybe).
    Oh and maybe honors English (and AP Exam) because I have the ability to go up and down from regular to honors bc of global
    As an incoming junior, you're still kind of early to chance for a T50 (because even if you are a straight A student, you don't have all your test scores in and you may not have achieved recognition or leadership positions in ECs, you probably don't; know what kind of LORs you will get or who will write them), but you are still free to post a "chance me" thread in the "What Are My Chances" board. You'll have to list all your classes, GPA, test scores, ECs, etc. If your high school offers access to Naviance software, use it.

The T10 are used to seeing all As in all AP classes, and then they're going reject 90%+ of applicants anyway. T30--T50? Well, they're used to seeing a more liberal mix of honors and APs but they're still going to reject 60-80% of all applicants. There just isn't enough places. Some colleges will tell you if they prefer clear evidence of rigor over straight As, but each college is different and the only thing that will please everyone is all A's in all APs. Without a crystal ball...

Protect your GPA and talk to your guidance counselor about your aspirations, what you have to do to get where you want to be, and how the school can help you get there.
    Ok thanks so much I do agree that it is wayyyy too early to predict all of these things.