Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Will I get into university of Portland

hazelmarie11hazelmarie11 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I finally decided on a career pathway and I want to go into nursing. My top school for that would be university of Portland. However my sophomore year gpa brings me down. I really want to go here but I feel like I have no chance of getting in. The acceptance rate is reasonable which gives me a little hope because other colleges that were in my top have a Lower acceptance rate.
My cumulative gpa 9th-11th: 2.5
Sat score
Math:490
Reading:500
I slacked off school a lot sophomore year but I really brought my self up junior year.
I also visited the school, which they told us they would put that in our application which I don’t know if that’s going to help.
Also I’m a lower class hispanic female.

Replies to: Will I get into university of Portland

• hophop Registered User Posts: 896 Member
    Your GPA and Math score are on the low side for most 4-year BSN programs.
    Since you can't significantly raise your GPA at this point, perhaps
    you'd consider retaking the October SAT - committing to an active prep schedule.

A lot will depend on which classes you've completed and your grades on those, i.e. your grades in science
    or math related courses.

In the meantime there are different pathways to becoming a nurse. Be sure to consider community colleges where you can do a two-year study for a ADN degree, then take a path that you can convert to a BSN completion.
    https://www.rntobsn.org/nursing-paths/

If you're in Oregon, https://www.registerednursing.org/state/oregon/

Good luck.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 40,074 Senior Member
    Study every day and retake the SAT- you must have two fee waivers, right?
    There's a date August 25. Registration deadline August 8. Because it's the summer you should have 3-4 hours each day to dedicate to studying. Borrow study materials from your public library (Erica Melzer for English is good).
    Also, check that you have the schedule nursing programs expect, and correct your senior schedule if need be:
    -4 years of English, 4 years of social science (us history obviously + it's useful to have global history and Psychology and/or Sociology)
    - bio, chem, physics, anatomy & physiology. Bio and chem should be honors preferably.
    - math through precalculus and/or algebra2+ statistics.
    - 2 years of foreign language.

UPortland will consider your first quarter/ first semester grades so be ready to prioritize academics over anything else (including family and s.o).