Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Schedule Competitvness for College

Atak77Atak77 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
I just have a question regarding if my schedule is competitive enough for top tier colleges. I’m going to list only my AP courses as all my other courses were honors (besides 2 required cp courses freshman year as that’s all they were offered at)

Freshman year - no APs but took the hardest schedule minus AP world as I didn’t qualify to take it

Sophomore years - AP Bio AP Euro

Junior year - APUSH, AP Stats, AP English Lang, and AP Psychology

Senior year - AP calc AB, AP Gov, AP English, AP spanish, and AP Econ

I am currently a junior but have kept As and have gotten 4s/5s on all the exams and I’m on track to graduate top 5%. However I feel like I’m missing some classes such as AP chem or AP physics which are offered but the teachers are not very good. I have taken chemistry and physics honors and I am planning on taking the SAT chem test to partially make up for the lack of the AP class. Lastly, I will only have 4 AP exams for college admissions as Psychology was a summer course and my school does not allow us to take AP English exams until we have completed both AP english courses senior year. With all this am i still a competitive applicant soley based on my schedule? Thanks!

Replies to: Schedule Competitvness for College

• Atak77Atak77 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    I should also mention that I want to study biochemistry/psychology in college.
  • GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC Posts: 26,730 Forum Champion
    How do you compare to the top students at your HS? This is what will matter since your GC would need to indicate that you took the most rigorous courses available to you.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 42,866 Super Moderator
    edited July 2018
    11 AP classes is more than competitive. After 6-8, the law of diminishing returns kicks in.
    taking the SAT chem test to partially make up for the lack of the AP class.
    Take the Subject Test if you want, but don't take it to "make up" for anything. No college expects you to take every AP science class.
    my school does not allow
    Every AO knows that high schools often have rules on number of APs or when they can be taken. No applicant will be dinged for that.

That said, if the school does not "allow" (and I'm not sure how they can make that a rule, but that's a different topic) you to take any AP English exams until you have taken both AP courses, then the GC should make this clear in his/her rec. An AO may (and I emphasize "may") wonder why you have a class and no corresponding exam. I'd also say that I think that rule is stupid - AP Lang and AP Lit cover different topics and the exams are totally different. But I digress.
    Post edited by skieurope on
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 24,191 Forum Champion
    The best person to talk to your guidance counselor. Top colleges will want to see that the guidance counselor checks the box saying you have taken the most rigorous schedule available at your HS (which is not necessarily the most APs possible). As long as the guidance counselor says your schedule will be sufficient for him/her to mark off that box you are fine.