Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Should my son self- report both 35 ACT Scores that are different

momcollege2017momcollege2017 Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
I was wondering if my son should self-report both of his ACT scores? The first is a 35 composite...36 English, 34 Math, 36 Reading, 34 Science. The second is a 35 composite...36 English, 33 Math, 34 Reading, 35 Science. Any idea if it would help, hurt, or do nothing? I was thinking it may help to show consistent 35's, but I also thought it may hurt having the lower scores on the second test. I know this is quibbling and a good problem to have, but I wanted to give him the best shot possible at his reaches. Thanks for your thoughts.

Replies to: Should my son self- report both 35 ACT Scores that are different

• allyphoeallyphoe Registered User Posts: 1,782 Senior Member
    Whichever he chooses will be fine.
  • 3puppies3puppies Registered User Posts: 1,609 Senior Member
    He got a 35 on the first setting and chose to take it again. That will tell the admissions office something about him - and I am not saying this is the case, but if he does not have "strong" or "full" ECs, it may tell them his preferred EC is studying for exams.

But congrats to him for doing so well on them
  • boudersbouders Registered User Posts: 2,291 Senior Member
    I'd just send the first one. It's stronger in math. Some colleges will ask for all scores though.
  • hebegebehebegebe Registered User Posts: 2,305 Senior Member
    When my D received a 35 two years ago, we declared victory and moved on. It was sufficient to get her admission into a top-5 program.

I recommend sending only one score.
  • ninakatarinaninakatarina Registered User Posts: 1,410 Senior Member
    Why in the world would anybody retake a 35? Sending both scores will make you look like a tryhard.
  • DolemiteDolemite Registered User Posts: 1,993 Senior Member
    As someone said before only use the 1st score with the higher Math. Some schools only look at English and Math and some put a higher emphasis on them.

I know you said self report but in case you didn't know it cost to send each ACT score to colleges so save your money and only send the first.
  • momcollege2017momcollege2017 Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
    Thank you all for the feedback. It definitely helps to have a second opinion.