Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Wellesley Class of 2023 Results Only Thread

HippogeHippoge Registered User Posts: 25 Junior Member
edited December 7 in Wellesley College
Congrats to everyone accepted to Wellesley for '23! I thought it'd be nice to get to know each other and put some stats out there for future years (something I found really helpful when I was applying). Here's the template:

Objective:
SAT I (breakdown):
ACT (breakdown):
SAT II:
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0):
Weighted GPA:
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable):
AP (place score in parenthesis):
IB (place score in parenthesis):
Senior Year Course Load:
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.):

Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis):
Job/Work Experience:
Volunteer/Community service:
Summer Activities:
Essays (rating 1-10, details):
Recommendations (rating 1-10, details):

Teacher Rec #1 (rating 1-10, details):
Teacher Rec #2 (rating 1-10, details):
Counselor Rec (rating 1-10, details):
Additional Rec (if any) (rating 1-10, details):
Interview (if any) (rating 1-10, details):

Other:
Applied for Financial Aid?:
Intended Major:
State (if domestic applicant):
Country (if international applicant):
School Type:
Ethnicity:
Income Bracket:
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.):

Reflections:
Strengths:
Weaknesses:
Post edited by skieurope on

Replies to: Wellesley Class of 2023 Results Only Thread

• karebear387karebear387 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    CLASS OF 2023: ED 1
    ACCEPTED

Objective:
    SAT I (breakdown): 1520 (760 split)
    ACT (breakdown): 35
    SAT II: Didn't send
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.95
    Weighted GPA: N/A
    Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): We don't rank but my assistant principal said in my additional rec letter that I was in the top 10%
    AP (place score in parenthesis): Eng Lang (5), APUSH (5), Spanish (5)
    IB (place score in parenthesis): N/A
    Senior Year Course Load: AP Chem, AP Eng Lit, AP Stats, AP US Gov & Pol (no Spanish because no classes offered at my school)
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Nationally recognized within the Unitarian Universalist Association, National Merit Semifinalist

Subjective:
    Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): School paper (Editor-in-chief for 3 years), National/regional leadership within my church (highest position nationally)
    Job/Work Experience: N/A
    Volunteer/Community service: Key Club, officer positions
    Summer Activities: Rotary monthlong summer exchange
    Essays (rating 1-10, details): Common App (9, my AP Lit teacher is a super harsh grader and he gave me an A-), Wellesley supplement (7, it was good but the second response wasn't up to my standards)

Recommendations (rating 1-10, details)
    8 Chemistry & AP Chem teacher, we have a good relationship and I was the second letter he wrote this year so he wasn't burnt out yet
    8 Psychology & APUSH teacher, she's amazing and I did really well in her classes
    9 We have a great relationship across the years, she knows how high achieving I am
    9 Assistant principal she knows me well, I organized the gun violence walkout and some voter reg drives at my school, she knows how well I do academically too. I read her letter, it was really good
    9 Youth ministry associate for the Unitarian Universalist Association she's the #2 spot in my church's youth ministry programs nationally and we have a very close relationship. She's my boss for a two-year leadership spot and she's led some weekend/weeklong activities I've participated in.

Interview (if any) (rating 1-10, details): 6 I had it with a current Welleslely student when I was there in October, I think it's one of the weakest parts of my app... That might just be because I didn't feel as much of a connection with her though.

Other:
    Applied for Financial Aid?: No
    Intended Major: Political science & religion
    State (if domestic applicant): Oregon
    School Type: Public
    Ethnicity: Multiracial (South Asian & white)
    Income Bracket: upper middle class
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.):

Reflections:
    Strengths: Test scores, recommendations, essays, and I go to a public school in Oregon. No one from my HS has gone to W in the last couple of years, I think 1 person applied and was accepted, and 1 person applied and was waitlisted.
    Weaknesses: Interview and progress report (my school doesn't do quarters so the grades weren't final at all but I had 2 Bs. But in AP Chem and AP Stats which aren't my strengths so I think it was okay?)

Good luck to everyone applying ED 2 and RD this year, and good luck to everyone in the future! I'll be back next year to answer questions.
  • liliunicornliliunicorn Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Accepted ED

Objective:
    SAT I (breakdown): 1510 (760 English, 750 Math)
    ACT (breakdown):
    SAT II:
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0):
    Weighted GPA: 3.86
    Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable):
    AP (place score in parenthesis): Euro (3), MacroEcon (5), MicroEcon (4), US History (4)
    Senior Year Course Load: AP Psych, AP Gov, AP Stats, Honors Japanese 4, Japanese Language and Culture, Short Fiction
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): National Young Arts Finalist in Short Story, a few local writing contests, AP scholar w/ Honor, Mission of the School Award, Gold Presidential Service Award

Subjective:
    Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): creating writing community service club 11-12 (co-prez), 4 year varsity player for softball, basketball, water polo, club softball, Japanese National Honor Society
    Job/Work Experience: job as Japanese translator for English language learning students
    Volunteer/Community service: volunteer Japanese tutor for middle school students

Common App: 9/10, I really liked this essay, I was able to use my creative writing skills but I think my like "take-away" was pretty generic
    Why-Wellesley: 8/10, generic i guess, but i was able to incorporate my interest in Japanese which was good i think

Teacher Rec #1 (rating 1-10, details): 8/10, bio teacher who's class I did well in but didn't know him too well. I've heard he's a good rec letter writer though
    Teacher Rec #2 (rating 1-10, details): 8/10, japanese teacher who i've had for three years, i was happy to include her b/c japanese is like my main thing
    Counselor Rec (rating 1-10, details): 8/10, not very many students, so pretty personalized, she's supposed to write good recs
    Additional Rec (if any) (rating 1-10, details): none
    Interview (if any) (rating 1-10, details): 6/10, i was nervous about this bc i didnt feel like i connected with the interviewer super well and i stumbled over the like why a womens college question (ahhh yikesss), but i mean it wasn't like terrible

Other:
    Applied for Financial Aid?: nope
    Intended Major: japanese
    State (if domestic applicant): CA
    School Type: small, super competitive private school
    Ethnicity: white
    Income Bracket: a lot
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): nope

Reflections: YAYAY im so happy it was my first choice:))))))) cant wait to meet everyone in the fall
    Strengths: being interested in something kinda different and having the activities to back that up, creative writing, common app essay
    Weaknesses: GPA (oof)
  • HippogeHippoge Registered User Posts: 25 Junior Member
    Decision: Accepted
    Objective:
    SAT I (breakdown): (did not submit)
    ACT (breakdown): 32
    SAT II: did not submit
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.83
    Weighted GPA: 4.15 (out of 4.5, my school's weird)
    Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): does not rank (class of 515 students)
    AP (place score in parenthesis): AP Chemistry (3), AP Calc AB (5), AP Spanish (5), AP English Language (5), AP Calc BC (5), AP Environmental Science (5)
    IB (place score in parenthesis): not offered
    Senior Year Course Load: AP Statistics, AP US Gov, AP Biology, World Lit 1-2
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): AP Scholar/with distinction, I'm not that talented

Subjective:
    - Founder and President of local art publication: I wrote my CommonApp essay on this and was extremely passionate about this project. Students, faculty, teachers, and community members know me for this.
    - Founder and President of graphic design club: we provide a design service to organizations on campus, it's pretty much a business I run but don't get any money out of
    - 4-year Varsity High Jump Captain: I'm really not that great at high jump, but I'm the most mature and down-to-earth person on our crew so I make sure everyone is staying focused and I give advice to learning jumpers
    - Vice President of my temple's youth division: I mostly run communications and attend meetings
    - Choir librarian and alto section leader of a choir I've been in for 12 years (I have no talent in choir though)
    Job/Work Experience: I had an internship at a world famous zoo. 16 people were selected and we got a behind the scenes experience of various careers for 7 weeks. We wrote blogs that were posted on the zoo's official publication website. I included links to my blogs in my additional comments section of the CommonApp
    - for the past two years I have traveled to Taiwan solo for a total of 8 weeks to volunteer at an orphanage in a monastery
    Summer Activities:
    - administrator and group leader of my temple's summer camp
    - traveling to Taiwan, as listed above
    CommonApp: 8 I'm not the best writer and it wasn't the most interesting topic. I talked about my struggles starting the art publication and, although it detailed my personal journey, it wasn't as interesting as some others I've read
    Why Wellesley: 9 Again, I'm not the best writer, but I had a campus visit and it gave me lots of really unique personal experiences which I referenced. I think I showed that I knew what Wellesley stood for and how I could play into that picture, so this portion definitely helped me.
    10, AP Lang Teacher - although I'm not her favorite student, I went from the essay she put on the powerpoint of "What not to do" to being the star essay that was read aloud at the end of the year. I would sit down and she and I would go over my essays line by line every week, so she really helped me and I think she could see I was trying really hard in that class.
    8, AP Spanish Teacher - I'm not the favorite student, but I could say I'm a close second. I am a big person on traveling and I always tell this teacher about my travels. He finds me very globally aware and active in my community (I'm starting a chinese, english, and spanish class at my temple). I also got a 5 in spanish as the only chinese kid in class.
    Teacher Rec #3 (rating 1-10, details):
    6, AP Calc AB Teacher - I'm also not her favorite student and I haven't had her in a few years, so I'm not sure if she remembered much about me. But I was always completing my homework, doing well on my tests, and asking her questions when I needed. I also would make small talk with her occasionally about my personal life and she loves students who do that.
    7 - my counselor has tons of people's recs to write, but I have been getting to know her and she embedded links to websites for my graphic design club and art publication. She was really impressed with my art publication and knows me for that.
    7.5 - my high jump coach for the past 3 years wrote about my leadership, character and maturity. It wasn't the most fancy letter, but he knows me and my personal problems pretty well, so I was glad to have that extra perspective.
    Interview (if any) (rating 1-10, details):
    10 - I actually didn't know my interview was official until half a year later when I called the admissions office. But, my interviewer and I connected instantly and we talked about really personal subjects. I talked about my passion and vision for my graphic design club and she was extremely impressed. I also asked her questions that she found really impressive. It's hard to explain, but I think she thought I was a critical thinker, very intuitive, passionate, ambitious, and very similar to her when she was applying to Wellesley. I honestly think my interview alone could have gotten me into Wellesley.

Other:
    Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
    Intended Major: International Relations (maybe double in Environmental Studies)
    State (if domestic applicant): California
    School Type: Public

Reflections:
    Strengths: I felt like I fit the Wellesley mold (after reading through several College Confidential posts) and I think I really emulated that in my Why Wellesley essay. I also had an amazing interview where I connected with the interviewer instantly, to this day I remember what we were talking about. I also went on a campus visit where I had: Lunch with a student, junior on-campus interview, chatted with the track coach, and sat in on a class. Also, starting my club and founding my art publication really came off as ambitious and passionate, something my interviewer really liked in me and something characteristically Wellesley.
    Weaknesses: My grades aren't the best, my ACT score isn't stellar and I did get a 3 on AP Chem. I also am not that talented (I didn't win an award or develop a cure for cancer) or that great of a writer. I also realized my passion for policy late in my high school career and was not able to do any activities that pertain to my major.

Wow, that was long. Sorry to put you through all of that. But to all future applicants, I wish you the best of luck and I hope all this info helps!
  • keiaieiareikeiaieiarei Registered User Posts: 19 Junior Member
    edited December 8

Objective:
    SAT I (breakdown): 1530 (780 Reading 750 Math 19 Essay)
    ACT (breakdown): N/A
    SAT II: 760 Literature 750 Math II 800 Chinese
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): N/A
    Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): N/A
    AP (place score in parenthesis): N/A
    Predicted Grades (total of 40):
    - English Literature HL (7)
    - Chinese Language and Literature HL (6)
    - Psychology HL (7)
    - Biology SL (6)
    - Math SL (6)
    - Music SL (5)
    - TOK (B)
    - Psychology Extended Essay (A)
    Senior Year Course Load: ↑
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Not much, to be honest. The only international ones are our team's rankings at World Scholar's Cup Hanoi (7 in Australia and the Americas, 60 overall), which I only added to fill up the entirety of the 5 spaces on the CA...

Subjectives:

- Chinese to English translator at various groups. ExR Scans: Cofounder of Chinese team and Head of Recruitment, translator of a popular Chinese novel and its adapted comic/manhua, published online, ~100k views/day. General: 3 comics/manhua, subtitles to a 3-season animation series, 1 short story, few poems here and there.
    - Writer for school literary magazine. 7 years of general creative writing in both English and Chinese (poetry, short stories, short drama pieces), 1 Chinese piece published in a magazine.
    - Head of Finance at VRF, an organization focused on assisting children in rural areas with proper eye care. Currently assisted 500+ children in China, working on expansions to Pakistan and the US.
    - First Flute at school band, used to be in pit band as well before I transferred out of that school.
    - Piano RCM 10 (which doesn't actually matter when you're Asian but I needed that 10th activity you know...)
    Job/Work Experience:
    - Paid translation at Bayi under official contract with NetEase Comics.
    - School GSA, just general member, helping to organize events and speaker series and all that
    - Book Buddies at library, reading stories to children, helping international students with English, arranging summer reading award ceremonies
    - Cadet Flight Corporal at Royal Canadian Air Cadets, accelerated program, at this point I don't even know what I do there tbh

Summer Activities:
    - Brown summer program, 3 week, no credit, participated in a personality psych course
    - Yale summer program, 5 week, yes credit, Intro to Creative Writing (A-) and something about criminal psychology (B-), guess who forgot to work hard during the summer :'(
    Essays (rating 1-10, details): Pretty damn good/10. I do have confidence in myself as a writer, and my counsellor complimented them multiple times, so I guess they should be above 7.5 (though in my opinion they are 10/10). My PS was about a plane ride, where I talked about having flown so many times between Canada and China, searching for identity, doing my translation project, while sneakily adding in personality traits/cool facts that I wanted them to pick up on, all in an extremely stream-of-consciousness way. It was kind of risky. In my supplement I talked about writing my Psych EE on a topic on which two of Wellesley's professors did really good research. Also diversity.

Teacher Rec #1: Quite good/10. English teacher, had to leave our school last year due to personal reasons, I communicated with her a lot and tried my best to break through the introverted-Asian-girl stereotype. I wrote her a letter when she left and she said it almost brought her to tears which, you know, probably doesn't mean anything at all, but I'd like to believe that we ended on a good note.
    Teacher Rec #2: Possibly good?/10. Chinese teacher. She's a translator+interpreter though so I think her English is fine. I don't really pay attention in her class (RIP me), but since we're both translators I think that makes up for some of it. Also I accepted one of her old students into one of my translation groups due to pure chance. Also we attended Chinese fortune-telling classes together.
    Counselor Rec: I have no idea/10. TBH I worked with an outside counsellor most of the time so I have no idea what my school counsellor thinks. He complimented my somewhat unique EC's quite a couple of times, so I think that ended up fine?
    Additional Rec: N/A
    Interview: It was chill, but I was pretty scared. I think I seemed a bit too enthusiastic.

Other:
    Applied for Financial Aid?: No
    Intended Major: Undecided
    State (if domestic applicant): N/A
    Country (if international applicant): Canada
    School Type: Private
    Ethnicity: Chinese
    Income Bracket:
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): LMAO... I think I have what's just the opposite of a hook

Reflection:
    Strengths: I think my EC's definitely make a statement and differ me from the other Chinese girls, while my supplements work with my EC's pretty well, and my general stats aren't too bad either.
    Weaknesses: I legit don't know how good my recommendations were, also my interview was meh. Lack of awards, bad SAT essay score, could've gotten 2 extra IB points but there wasn't enough time.
    Why you think you were accepted: Probably above-average supplements along with decent everything-else's
    Where else were you accepted: Haha ED ftw

General Comments: Typed this up way past my bedtime, don't arrest me for grammar mistakes please... To anyone who's applying to Wellesley, good luck and hmu if you have any questions!
  • imaaanesimaaanes Registered User Posts: 6 New Member

Objective:
    SAT I (breakdown): did not submit
    ACT (breakdown): 29 (34 English, 30 Reading, 26 math, 26 science)
    SAT II: I don't think I submitted them but 610 lit and 720 Spanish
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.0
    Weighted GPA:
    Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 1/387
    AP (place score in parenthesis):
    Senior Year Course Load: Calculus, English, German, Econ, Philosophy, Art History, Latin, History, Issues in Globalization, European seminar, PoliSci (I go to a French lycée)
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Concours général nominee (the most prestigious academic competition in France), Europe begins in Lampedusa (contest winner)

Subjective:

Presidential campaign (national team organizer):
    Organization of rallies and campaign events, work at campaign HQ, organization of political activities, campaign trips

National Politics, Communications team:
    TV/radio intws,drafting official statements, researching new communication strategies, making communication tools&guides for activists and politicians

Legislative elections, (regional youth leader):
    Campaigns (5 candidates): organizing leafleting&canvassing activities for volunteers, prep/set up for large rallies, gatherings& other campaign events

Activist, (regional Youth leader)
    Group coordination, political communication, organization of meetings and activist activities

School disciplinary committee
    School debate team (founder)
    Foreign Exchange: Italy + made a documentary about refugees)
    Tutoring

Job/Work Experience: Paid tutoring, Part-time job at a grocery store
    Volunteer/Community service: national food collection
    Summer Activities: none

CA essay: 9/10 I'd say. Wrote about how my hyphenated identity made me want to make a change. Then wrote about the 2017 presidential campaign.
    W100: 8/10 I'd say (the first paragraph was a 10 but not so sure about the second one). HRC was my first reason, I said that even though I wouldn't have campaigned for her during the primaries (I would've campaigned for Bernie), she is a powerful politician and as a woman who wants to get into politics, I would love to be at Wellesley, a school that empowers women. The second one was about the curriculum: listed a few classes I would love to take and explained why I wanted to take a class at Brandeis.

Teacher Rec #1 (rating 1-10, details): English teacher, 9, I don't really know what she wrote but I heard it was really good
    Teacher Rec #2 (rating 1-10, details): History and Geography in English teacher, 7 or 8, I heard it was a bit rushed but good, she's the teacher who knows me best (she's had me for 3 years now)
    Teacher Rec #3: 10/10, a History teacher who never was my History teacher but was my supervisor for a project (a documentary and my European seminar). Heard her recommendation was awesome.

Counselor Rec (rating 1-10, details): 10/10, she wrote an AWESOME rec in which she said that it wouldn't surprise her if I ran for president one day.
    Additional Rec (if any) (rating 1-10, details): I'd say 8 or 9. The former president of my (well, former) youth movement who is now a member of the national board of our movement. She was also a member of the national campaign team in 2017 and knows me well. She's only 23 and we get on really well. She wrote about everything I did during the presidential campaign and about the work I've done for the movement.

Interview (if any) (rating 1-10, details): Definitely a 10/10. The alumna was really nice, we spoke about a lot of things (politics, tv shows, Wellesley ofc and other stuff) and the interview lasted 2 hours and a half.

Other:
    Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes, asking for a near full ride
    Intended Major: Middle Eastern Studies and International Relations
    Country (if international applicant): France
    School Type: public
    Ethnicity: mixed (black and white, African and Middle-Eastern descent)
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): First gen

Reflections:
    Strengths: Extracurriculars, GPA, recs, essays, interview
    Weaknesses: ACT Score