Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

College Admissions Statistics Class of 2023

1282930313234»

Replies to: College Admissions Statistics Class of 2023

• collegemomjamcollegemomjam Registered User Posts: 1,839 Senior Member
    @1stTimeThruMom sorry if I missed the post, but where did you hear that Georgetown only uses subject tests for placement? My daughter is a student and Georgetown and we never heard that before?

I may have posted this already but I took my son to Georgetown a few weeks ago and the admissions rep told us that they would be going common app next year. Then he said "April Fools!". It was actually really funny. So they are NOT changing next year.

Also, as it relates to the comments about legacies....I think for the most part, legacies have to have strong stats. My daughter is a legacy at Boston College but she was 7th in her class of 400 and had a test score at the top end of their range her year. It was a described to me once as "a feather in your cap" but not enough to make up for grades and scores that aren't competitive with most applicants with similar backgrounds. Not sure how it is at the other schools, but i know of a few Penn legacies with strong stats that were rejected, and I have a good friend who used to interview for Harvard (she was an alum) and didn't even bother to have her daughter with great grades and a 35 ACT apply because she was sure she wouldn't get in. That 36% number is really surprising to me. Maybe she should have applied!
  • cypresspatcypresspat Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    @mwolf. I can’t publish my data as it is proprietary, but the results make sense if you think about it. The GCs are humans, and so are admissions folks at the colleges. One can only manage so many close business relationships, so all of them have their favorites to work with. I am not suggesting GCs steer kids inappropriately or anything like that. I just know that GCs tend to have a small number of schools that they (self admittedly) know really well. As do admissions counselors, I would guess. This benefits the students at the HS where there is a match. Hurts those at other nearby HSs, as there are only so many acceptances sprinkled in any given geography. Except in regards to the colleges those GCs are very familiar with! This is why a tool which reveals how well students at YOUR school have done at various colleges. For our son, I consider that info among the most important. Among a lot of important pieces of info, of course.
  • SJ2727SJ2727 Registered User Posts: 1,374 Senior Member
    @collegemomjam your experience seems to tally with ours. In our info session Georgetown specifically said they use the subject test scores for admission. They also emphasized that “recommended” actually means “required unless you have an excellent reason for not doing them or a spectacular application without them”.
    However they did say legacy has an advantage, and showed the stats on legacy admissions.
  • 1stTimeThruMom1stTimeThruMom Registered User Posts: 107 Junior Member
    @collegemomjam Thanks for all the info re legacy status. I’ve held off on taking my son to my alma mater until he gets his SAT scores up! Regarding Georgetown’s use of SAT scores for placement - I read that in a thread here on CC and then I found something to that effect online, when I searched for info re SAT Subject Tests.
  • MWolfMWolf Registered User Posts: 753 Member
    @cypresspat What you're saying make a lot of sense and matches what I have seen in my kid's school - there are clear and often dramatic differences in the acceptance rates of kids from the HS to colleges with very similar acceptance rates and very similar character. The closer a college is geographically, the more likely there is to be a connection. We're in Chicagoland, and acceptance rates to UChicago and Northwestern are much higher than the average, while acceptance to most of the Ivies is as expected, based on the number applying. Acceptance rates to Carleton and Macalster are much higher than to most LACs in the NE with the same average acceptance rates, and similar academic profiles. However, some colleges in the NE, like Brandeis and Vassar , or Tulane in the SE, which is very popular choice for students from the HS, also accept kids at far higher rates than average. There is nothing that would explain this variance as well as connections.

I don't know whether it's even connections between a specific GC and admission, as much as the fact that the admissions people are familiar with the school, and give more weight to things like GPA. they know that the Honors courses are challenging, whereas an admissions officer who is not familiar with the school may have less trust in the course designations.

Another college which accepts kids from the HS at a higher rate than their average is USC. I don't know how I feel about that...
  • chiefironsidechiefironside Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Anyone has Caltech and Stanford statistics ?
  • cypresspatcypresspat Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    @mwolf. I know that most kids go to college within just a few hundred miles of home (even the more elite schools) so it makes sense for both HS and colleges to focus relationship building within that radius. It is really really tough for a ‘regional’ College to build awareness outside of its region. My son’s Uncle who lives in Boston suggested he look at Williams. Silly son scoffed ‘I never heard of it!’ Ya, you WISH you could go to Williams! But my son bases his school familiarity on NCAA championships. So, there’s that.
  • MWolfMWolf Registered User Posts: 753 Member
    @cypresspat The most common question here in Chicagoland when my kid says that she's going to Midd is "where is that?
  • privatebankerprivatebanker Registered User Posts: 3,778 Senior Member
    @MWolf lol 😂