right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Brown you broke my heart (Don't write about Rape)

Replies to: Brown you broke my heart (Don't write about Rape)

• intparentintparent 36291 replies644 threads Senior Member
    Maybe UChicago.
    · Reply · Share
  • alexandra00alexandra00 242 replies17 threads Junior Member
    @intparent I was crying and really upset when I wrote the post. It was MIT or Uchicago. I understand now that those schools are very different from bronw
    · Reply · Share
    Ok. So you have at least one great acceptance. :) Anything else is gravy at this point, assuming that the FA is workable at your EA school. You are going to college next fall!
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 22968 replies2262 threads Senior Member
    edited January 2
    MIT and Brown are not looking for the exact same student profile. It is entirely conceivable that you were simply a more attractive candidate to MIT (especially given your work with girls who code) and that the decision to defer you at Brown was not materially impacted by what you wrote in the additional comment section that application. Most importantly congratulations on your accomplishments and your acceptance -- all best wishes as you move forward.
    edited January 2
    · Reply · Share
  • bjkmombjkmom 7941 replies158 threads Senior Member
    edited January 2
    What makes you so sure that it was the rape issue that kept you from being accepted? Brown accepts under 10% of its applicants, the vast majority of whom are all incredibly qualified.
    edited January 2
    · Reply · Share
  • melvin123melvin123 1572 replies21 threads Senior Member
    OP I’m so sorry you were the victim of a violent crime. And happy for you that you’re moving forward with your life and will be going to a great school next year (MIT or U Chicago etc). Be sure to continue with whatever support you need to continue to heal. Onward and upward!
    · Reply · Share
    @Eeyore123 I am close with my GC but this is a different school. I did not want to tell her about it, as I didn't want her to think of me differently. I know that what I did could have been construed as lacking critical thinking, but I think it was honesty. I know that it was probably not a good idea. I just thought that including it in the information section would add more context to my transcript. I was disappointed. I should have been more cognizant of the context of my application. I don't deserve to go to Brown. I should be more thankful for not being rejected and apologize for wasting everyone's time.
    · Reply · Share
    @TheBigChef thank you
    · Reply · Share
    edited January 2
    So you didn’t want your GC thinking about you differently, but you put it out there for the admissions committees? What’s done is done, but you might go see your GC about this. Colleges often call GCs to discuss applicants. For your GC to say, “Huh? What are you talking about?” probably wouldn’t be too helpful in your application process. They may or may not call, but it does happen.

Again — this may have little or nothing to do with your Brown results. But go see your GC — it could make a difference with your other schools.
    edited January 2
    · Reply · Share
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri 9018 replies335 threads Senior Member
    It's not that you don't deserve to go to Brown. I don't think any student should take rejection from college personally. Colleges don't have room for all the great students who apply, and nobody can really know for sure why they got accepted or not. Some other kid who applied to MIT is probably looking at their 2nd choice now too. If you got into a school you love and it's affordable for your family that's great. Go join their FB page and start getting to know your future classmates.
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 22968 replies2262 threads Senior Member
    edited January 2
    @alexandra00 Don't every think you don't deserve to go to Brown or any other school. You should never let an admissions officer who read your file for maybe 10 -15 minutes and who has never met you play any part in determining your self-worth. Rather the issue is that there are more people who are qualified to attend than there is space to accept. It is a numbers game. Sure it is OK to be disappointed especially since you gave the application your all, but now it is best to focus on the positives. Move forward and make the most of your college expereince wherever you end up.
    edited January 2
    Post edited by happy1 on
    · Reply · Share
  • Nocreativity1Nocreativity1 1112 replies55 threads Senior Member
    edited January 2
    Alexandra00- "I don't deserve to go to Brown. I should be more thankful for not being rejected and apologize for wasting everyone's time.".

Few things on CC are universal, yet I am confident that everyone wishes you well, respects your courage and believes you "deserving" of attending any and all schools. These are emotional times but none of this is personal. No application can reveal the entire person nor can you expect all AOs to reach the same conclusions. Don't try to figure out the cause behind results, it is a waste of energy and you will be wrong.

You future is bright, and given your successes you will likely be in a challenging environment next year. Don't allow yourself to have self doubt, get support if you feel you need it and allow yourself to experience joy. You have apparently gotten into an amazing school...enjoy the view from the top of the mountain you have climbed.
    edited January 2
    · Reply · Share
  • International DadInternational Dad 304 replies7 threads Member
    @alexandra00 Sorry for your situation.
    If Brown send you an acceptance letter in few days, what are you going to do?
    · Reply · Share
    @International Dad it has been my first choice by a massive margin for my entire life. We visited when I was 8, and I knew that it was the place for me. I would probably go and be happy. But, I've lost hope and don't think I'll get in
    · Reply · Share
  • nrtlax33nrtlax33 671 replies15 threads Member
    @alexandra00 : I have posted last spring the RD admitted rate for ED deferred students for class of 2021.
    See https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/21370405/#Comment_21370405 to estimate your chances of being admitted in RD.

Neither MIT nor UChicago is ideal for you in my opinion. Ask your mom to watch https://www.today.com/video/mental-health-policies-at-universities-draw-increasing-concern-708889155922 and read my previous posts on mental health. If you are not familiar with UChicago core curriculum, watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvxp2FcvApQ to get some idea. Since you are at it, watch her other videos. I don't mean to scare you. You need to know what you are getting yourself into in case you end up going to your "quite a bit more prestigious than Brown" university. Whenever I see someone apply to both Brown and UChicago, I roll my eyes.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34550 replies384 threads Senior Member
    There are so many reasons for deferral. Helps to keep your chin up. It could be as simple as a few other kids from your area were it, maybe athletes or some under enrolled major. Be aggravated, but not devastated.

Your final answer comes end of March.
    · Reply · Share
    @lookingforward I was feeling terrible. But received this from the interviewer from my #2 school.
    Hi Alexandra, 
    Nice to hear from you and it was my pleasure.  You were one of the most qualified applicants I have ever interviewed and I gave you high praise in my report to the admissions office.  If you are comfortable sharing, please let me know if you get accepted or decide to attend xxxxxx.  

Best of luck with the rest of your school year and wherever your college journey takes you.  
    · Reply · Share