Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Brown you broke my heart (Don't write about Rape)

Replies to: Brown you broke my heart (Don't write about Rape)

• austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 8,027 Senior Member
    It's not that you don't deserve to go to Brown. I don't think any student should take rejection from college personally. Colleges don't have room for all the great students who apply, and nobody can really know for sure why they got accepted or not. Some other kid who applied to MIT is probably looking at their 2nd choice now too. If you got into a school you love and it's affordable for your family that's great. Go join their FB page and start getting to know your future classmates.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 23,643 Forum Champion
    edited January 2
    @alexandra00 Don't every think you don't deserve to go to Brown or any other school. You should never let an admissions officer who read your file for maybe 10 -15 minutes and who has never met you play any part in determining your self-worth. Rather the issue is that there are more people who are qualified to attend than there is space to accept. It is a numbers game. Sure it is OK to be disappointed especially since you gave the application your all, but now it is best to focus on the positives. Move forward and make the most of your college expereince wherever you end up.
    Post edited by happy1 on
  • Nocreativity1Nocreativity1 Registered User Posts: 832 Member
    edited January 2
    Alexandra00- "I don't deserve to go to Brown. I should be more thankful for not being rejected and apologize for wasting everyone's time.".

Few things on CC are universal, yet I am confident that everyone wishes you well, respects your courage and believes you "deserving" of attending any and all schools. These are emotional times but none of this is personal. No application can reveal the entire person nor can you expect all AOs to reach the same conclusions. Don't try to figure out the cause behind results, it is a waste of energy and you will be wrong.

You future is bright, and given your successes you will likely be in a challenging environment next year. Don't allow yourself to have self doubt, get support if you feel you need it and allow yourself to experience joy. You have apparently gotten into an amazing school...enjoy the view from the top of the mountain you have climbed.
  • International DadInternational Dad Registered User Posts: 203 Junior Member
    @alexandra00 Sorry for your situation.
    If Brown send you an acceptance letter in few days, what are you going to do?
  • alexandra00alexandra00 Registered User Posts: 169 Junior Member
    @International Dad it has been my first choice by a massive margin for my entire life. We visited when I was 8, and I knew that it was the place for me. I would probably go and be happy. But, I've lost hope and don't think I'll get in
  • nrtlax33nrtlax33 Registered User Posts: 686 Member
    @alexandra00 : I have posted last spring the RD admitted rate for ED deferred students for class of 2021.
    See https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/21370405/#Comment_21370405 to estimate your chances of being admitted in RD.

Neither MIT nor UChicago is ideal for you in my opinion. Ask your mom to watch https://www.today.com/video/mental-health-policies-at-universities-draw-increasing-concern-708889155922 and read my previous posts on mental health. If you are not familiar with UChicago core curriculum, watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvxp2FcvApQ to get some idea. Since you are at it, watch her other videos. I don't mean to scare you. You need to know what you are getting yourself into in case you end up going to your "quite a bit more prestigious than Brown" university. Whenever I see someone apply to both Brown and UChicago, I roll my eyes.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 31,149 Senior Member
    There are so many reasons for deferral. Helps to keep your chin up. It could be as simple as a few other kids from your area were it, maybe athletes or some under enrolled major. Be aggravated, but not devastated.

Your final answer comes end of March.
  • alexandra00alexandra00 Registered User Posts: 169 Junior Member
    @lookingforward I was feeling terrible. But received this from the interviewer from my #2 school.
    Hi Alexandra, 
    Nice to hear from you and it was my pleasure.  You were one of the most qualified applicants I have ever interviewed and I gave you high praise in my report to the admissions office.  If you are comfortable sharing, please let me know if you get accepted or decide to attend xxxxxx.  

Best of luck with the rest of your school year and wherever your college journey takes you.  
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 31,149 Senior Member
    Nice. I'm curious if you sent them the same addl info.

I know you've had a hard time through hs, too much that was beyond your control. But your first post here showed that PTSD. I hope you can get some support, before next fall, a good therapist who specializes with late teens/college age kids. You can grow a lot by next fall.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 8,734 Senior Member
    edited January 3
    This question comes up often: why do you want to go to a school that doesn’t want you?

Thank about that, and put the thought away forever. Forget Brown. Also, it’s ridiculous to say you don’t deserve a particular college. That implies you are being punished and that you are unworthy. You are not being punished and you are worthy. Stop looking at it as though they are rejecting you. See it for what it is: they can’t admit everyone they’d like to admit.

For those students reading this, I’ll reiterate what myself and others have said: writing about your trauma, bad experience, poor family situation, illness, death of a relative, or whatever it may be is rarely a good idea. This is mainly because the vast majority of students can’t write well about such things.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 40,975 Super Moderator
    This question comes up often: why do you want to go to a school that doesn’t want you?
    The corollary: Love the school that loves you back
  • websensationwebsensation Registered User Posts: 2,007 Senior Member
    edited January 3
    I gotta be honest. You loved Brown and also applied to MIT and U of C, two schools I view as very, very different from Brown? I view MIT as a tough place to flourish unless you love their culture and grueling work. Maybe I am wrong.

Why not to Rice or Pomona type of schools?