Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

A Parent’s Place in The College Quest

13»

Replies to: A Parent’s Place in The College Quest

• KimmyJoeKimmyJoe Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Need opinions for our situation. Our daughter wants to attend her boyfriend's university. It's a very small private school with a 90% acceptance rate, and while it's perfect for him we are devastated our daughter would even consider going there. She has killed herself in high school getting A's in AP classes with a 4.5 gpa. She has been offered a very generous scholarship at a competitive university with a 30% acceptance rate. She pretends to take a look at other schools, but barely glosses over them, and still concludes boyfriend's school is just wonderful. Ugh. For these reasons and because we know choosing your boyfriends school is dumb we are afraid she is making a terrible mistake.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 73,064 Senior Member
    Re: #31

Ignoring the boyfriend situation, is that college too expensive, or does it not offer what she wants to study?
  • collegemomjamcollegemomjam Registered User Posts: 1,702 Senior Member
    @KimmyJoe ugh I feel for you. That is such a tough situation. She really should go to the school that meets her academic needs, and from what you described she will not be challenged at her boyfriend's school. Not so mention, if she is worried about losing him as a boyfriend it might worse for their relationship if she goes to the same school. If it's meant to be it will be....but doesn't sound like that is the advice she will listen to right now. I would focus on the academics and her meeting her longterm career goals and how the school that allows her to grow the best intellectually and meet her full potential will help her land in a better spot that will ultimately make her happier. Good luck.
  • KimmyJoeKimmyJoe Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    edited January 11
    Boyfriend's school is practically free with the scholarship she got there, but two states away. The good school is in state and somewhat more expensive but has a wonderful reputation and alumni network.
  • Rivet2000Rivet2000 Registered User Posts: 664 Member
  • privatebankerprivatebanker Registered User Posts: 2,148 Senior Member
    if the local state school is the flagship there is absolutely nothing wrong with just applying there for some. It’s not beneath them and many times it is a powerhouse academically once you get into your major. And it can be a ridiculous value. Too many on CC don’t value just how good they are. It’s not unique and interesting.

I get it. I can and have thought these same things at times. But I am evolving on the issue.
13»