Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Getting “bonus points/recognition” for sitting in on college class during visit

2»

Replies to: Getting “bonus points/recognition” for sitting in on college class during visit

• Leigh22Leigh22 Registered User Posts: 166 Junior Member
    homerdog- great point. These essays are much more heartfelt when an on campus experience really resonates with you. For my S19 it was an interview with a current student. He came out of that interview so pumped up about the college and the students and it made his essay writing effortless. Admittedly, he set up the interview to “show interest “ but it ended up being much more.
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 3,738 Senior Member
    Totally agree with @homerdog. My daughter got so much out of classroom visits. Conversely, the ones that didn't go well usually got scratched off the list entirely.
  • privatebankerprivatebanker Registered User Posts: 2,134 Senior Member
    edited January 12
    Although I agree it can be helpful in the mosaic your student is building. But one or two classes shouldn’t be make it or break it.

Wrong professor. Wrong day. It’s impossible to really know a culture from a single class or two.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 30,647 Senior Member
    D1 refused to attend any class. Not her style. (Confidence, not laziness or disinterest.) But she did meet with a friend of a friend who taught in the dept my kiddo wanted. She could reference that in her Why Us. (And she did later study with that person.)

You really don't "need" to sit in or even contact a prof. You DO need to know what the college wants. You do need to show, in the Why Us, that you are interested enough to have the details straight on this college, why you match them. That's the critical part of "interest." That you "get it." Not that you flew or drove into town, sat in on a class. Any number of kids can go through those motions and still not "get" the college.

Where it can help merit is if she does match what the college looks for (including institutional needs) and they really really want HER. That starts with her own homework on the college, her own self match.
  • astute12astute12 Registered User Posts: 595 Member
    My son mentioned a class he sat in on at a specific college in his "why our school" essay -- not to get points, but to let them know what he found interesting about the class and why he wanted to attend that university.
2»