Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I got a D first semester pre calc

Connorcm3Connorcm3 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I got a D first semester in pre calc and got As and Bs in all my other classes. I got accepted to Xavier Dayton Saint joes Loyola Chicago Marquette Pace And am waiting to hear back from northeastern Fordham catholic emerson Drexel and Bentley on RD. How will my D affect me getting into those schools and affect my acceptances?

Replies to: I got a D first semester pre calc

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 73,064 Senior Member
    Generally, colleges prefer if you notify them now rather than surprising them on the final high school transcript. Reporting a D grade now may risk your admission or reduce your chances, but surprising the college with a D on the final transcript is likely to result in rescission leaving you without any college option besides community college.

For those colleges where you have been admitted, report the D grade and ask if that will risk rescission.
  • privatebankerprivatebanker Registered User Posts: 2,148 Senior Member
    edited January 11
    Get your grades up and you won’t have to report a final grade of a d. I do assume it’s a full year class.

The mid semester report won’t help your rd applications but if everything else is in line you should be ok.

But pre calc shouldn’t be a subject you fail going into college. Ask a math oriented friend or teacher for some tutoring. You can do this.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 23,188 Forum Champion
    Agree, a D in precalc will be a negative in your pending applications.

And you need to do EVERYTHING in your power to bring that grade up. A D or lower as a final grade can be cause for any admission to be rescinded. Don't allow this to be a possibility. See your teacher after school, use online resources (ex. Khan academy to name one), get a tutor (if you can't afford a private tutor see if the HS honor society student tutor for free). Bring that grade up to at least a C level.
  • gban2020gban2020 Registered User Posts: 15 Junior Member
    What if you retake the course laster during a later year?