Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is sending things in the mail to colleges a turn-off?

StudentBMA2StudentBMA2 Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
edited January 31 in College Admissions
I already applied to a school and want to continue to demonstrate my interest in that school and make a good impression on admissions. If I send something I create to admissions or send them a letter continuing to demonstrate my interest in the school, does this scream desperation and is a total turn-off? I've actually heard of applicants overturning deferrals or getting accepted off the wait list by doing this. For example, I heard that one kid who wanted to go into architecture drew like a blueprint of a building at the college and it's believed that was the reason he got in off the wait list at a highly competitive college (UNC I believe). I'm really only thinking about doing this if I get positive feedback from you guys, so any input you have would be great!

Replies to: Is sending things in the mail to colleges a turn-off?

• StudentBMA2StudentBMA2 Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    I apologize for all of the grammatical mistakes ^^
  • milee30milee30 Registered User Posts: 1,750 Senior Member
    I think gimmicks are risky. Yes, one in a thousand - such as the architectural drawing - works. The remaining 999 fall flat at best and tank your app at worst. Up to you if you think your gimmick is strong enough to be worth the risk.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 40,144 Super Moderator
    edited January 31
    I heard that one kid
    The speculations about "I heard..." "someone told me..." etc brings to mind a quote from SpongeBob, "Why, once I met this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy's cousin.."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEVaXyu0lWc

Or, from Ferris Bueller's Day Off;: "My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLWGDxGh2G4

Just because you heard something does not make it true.

Unless you've applied EA/ED and have been deferred, there is no need to send a letter of continued interest. Your application is your interest. If between now and decision time you have meaningful updates, then absolutely let them know. But stay away from kitsch.
    Post edited by skieurope on
    The speculations about "I heard..." "someone told me..." etc brings to mind a quote from SpongeBob, "Why, once I met this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy's cousin.."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEVaXyu0lWc

Or, from Ferris Bueller's Day Off;: "My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLWGDxGh2G4

I have absolutely 0 idea what the relevance of this is or why you wasted your time searching for these long quotes. Do you feel better about yourself now?? I wasn't looking for some snotty wise remark. Your last paragraph would have sufficed and is actually helpful information. I genuinely did hear those things or I wouldn't be asking myself whether it's worth sending something in to the school.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 30,836 Senior Member
    LOL!! Ski nailed it.

OP, you said, "I've actually heard of applicants overturning deferrals or getting accepted off the wait list by doing this. For example, I heard that one kid who wanted to go into architecture drew like a blueprint..."
    I doubt that's what got them in. First and foremost is the application you did submit, the culmination of, we hope, months of consideration and a bit of polish. And the match you showed.

Not last minute adds.

My bet is throwing more against the wall is NOT what did the trick. No blueprint changed a kid's application. No begging or more proclaiming your love.

Ski's point is: just because you heard it doesn't give it one whit of authority. An excellent lesson for college bound kids.

So best wishes. But this is a waiting game.
  • PetraMCPetraMC Registered User Posts: 521 Member
    Please no. I suppose if you get waitlisted and have nothing to lose, give it a try? But right now you risk a negative reaction that could possibly turn a Maybe/Yes into a No.
  • hoodwinkhhoodwinkh Registered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
    Yes, nothing wrong in giving a try. It does not hurt to show interest in the school.
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 14,693 Senior Member
    The thicker the admissions file the thicker the applicant.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 12,385 Forum Champion
    Applied but no decision yet: DO NOT SEND ANYTHING unless you suddenly got a Nobel Prize or some other huge deal/award

Applied but rejected: YOU'RE DONE. Don't send anything. Look elsewhere. This was your final answer.

Applied ED but deferred to RD: If you have some new grades significantly better than usual or major new award then send that.

Applied but Waitlisted:

1) Your college will tell you how to get on the wait list. Do that.

2) Once you have all of your acceptances, start the process of figuring out where you want to go for the colleges you WERE accepted to. If you get into the waitlist college, great! If not, you have somewhere you are delighted to attend.

3) See how many students are accepted off the waitlist for that college. Google <college> Common Data Set and look in section C2 for Number of qualified applicants offered a place on waiting list, Number accepting a place on the waiting list, Number of wait-listed students admitted. At CWRU, they often accepted hundreds off the waitlist. But at say, Stanford, they accepted 36. So if it is a small number then really start focusing on your Plan B.

4) If you have a clear standout waitlisted college, write a "Letter of Continued Interest" and state that you 100% would attend ( assuming finances are acceptable ...some colleges would tell you "We would offer you Xx,000 in scholarship if we admitted you, would you attend?" and then if you say Yes I would attend then they would do a formal offer.)
    However you can only do this with one college. You could send a LoCI to multiple colleges but only tell one they are your first choice

The LoCI could include;

A reminder of where you in the process, such as "I am currently on the waitlist at Amazing U..."

A direct statement that you are still interested in attending. If the school is your top choice or if you'll attend if admitted at any time, say so. The more committed to the school you are, the stronger your case for admission.

Provide any relevant updates to your application (new SAT score, new achievement, new grades, school visit, promotion, etc). In other words, if you have new info that would strengthen your app, let them know!

Discuss any relationship or interaction with the school you have that might not have come up before (but do not repeat yourself or other portions of the application). For example, if you recently visited the school and attended classes, and later spoke with professors who impressed you, there's no harm in mentioning that. It shows you are serious about the school, and perhaps one of the profs made note of you.

5) Start to love the colleges you WERE admitted to
  • badgolferbadgolfer Registered User Posts: 214 Junior Member
    edited February 3
    @StudentBMA2 writes in reply to @skieurope : I have absolutely 0 idea what the relevance of this is or why you wasted your time searching for these long quotes.

You posted a similar insult last week -- https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/21962723#Comment_21962723

People are explaining things using allegories but you keep posting belittling replies that you are completely unable to understand them. Once, maybe it's them. When it happens every week maybe it's you? Take a look at the definition of Dunning-Krueger. You might want to reassess your readiness for college work given your befuddlement and dial back your hostility on this forum as per the discussion rules.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 12,385 Forum Champion
    These are the same students who say "I heard the career office doesn't know what they are doing" and still has no job a year later.
    edited February 11
    " You might want to reassess your readiness for college work given your befuddlement and dial back your hostility on this forum as per the discussion rules." Lol OK hahahaha
    Post edited by skieurope on