Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What should I do about my extracurriculars?

ts8096ts8096 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I'm a sophomore and I go to a really competitive magnet highschool for science. For this reason, I spend more time on my studies than my extracurriculars. I'm planning on either doing pharmacy or something else med related in the future (not yet decided because of all the bad things I've heard about pharm but that's for another post) My GPA is probably around 3.7. I have all A's and one B, but last year I had a mix of A's and Bs. I'm in all honors classes and this year I'm self studying for 2 APs.

For extracurriculars, I'm the main teacher and organizer of an organization at the library that holds STEM classes for children.(my only leadership position). I go there twice a week to plan the classes and I've been doing it since 7th or 8th grade. Over the years, I've created new classes and I even recruited a new volunteer and trained them, I'm also part of a volunteer organization at the library, I volunteer to tutor once a week (but I've only done it twice so far) and I've been volunteering at a nursing home since last year. I also play violin out of school but I have nothing to show for it and I'm not that good. In school i'm part of newspaper club and HOSA but I haven't qualified for any of the competitions. Starting next month I'm volunteering at a local hospital.

I haven't done any competitions or had any internships which was something I want to do but don't think I'm qualified enough. Some things I'm considering doing are the abrsm violin exams (but I''ll have to start from level 2), getting a job this summer, and volunteering at liberty science center. Oh and studying for SATs :( My SAT scores are also really bad (1200)

I'm also seriously thinking about doing track. I'm not very good but I want to give it a shot. The only thing i'm worried about is that i'm already underweight and if I do track it might put my health at risk.

As I said before, I want to do med in the future. I'm not sure what college I'm going to get into but at this point I'll be happy going to Rutgers (most likely going to go there). I think I'll get in but I really want to try getting a scholarship especially because I don't want to be a financial burden to my family. We aren't poor but we are definitely not rich either.

Someone please give me serious advice. After spending hours on college confidential, I made this account just to ask this. What ways can I improve?

Replies to: What should I do about my extracurriculars?

• bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 12,385 Forum Champion
    1. You are a sophomore and already have a leadership position in your STEM program. That is awesome!
    2. you have tons of activities

Student Leader of STEM program at ABC library. 4 hours per week, 7-10th grades. Duties include creating and planning classes in intro programming, Inventing 101, and How to Build a Robot. Recruited and trained a new volunteer.

Library Volunteer, X hours per week. 9-10 grades. Duties include shelving books, assisting librarians. etc

Peer Tutor, Y hours per week. Tutoring areas include Math, Chemistry and English.

Nursing Home Volunteer, Z hours per week. Duties include reading residents stories, getting drinks, ensuring comfort.

Violin: 4 hours per week. Member of Youth Orchestra.

Newspaper Club; Wrote stories on etcetc

HOSA member etc

Hospital Volunteer

3. Why do you want to join track? If you like to run or your friends are on the team, then okay. If you are doing it because you think that colleges want it, then don't. Unless you are going to be a varsity athlete, then athletics is just another Extracurricular.

4. Colleges want students who can show leadership sometimes but not necessarily in every single thing because how can you lead with no followers.

5. You are stretching yourself and learning things...like HOSA. Keep working and learning.

6. 1200 is not terrible. Use Khan Academy to study if you want to improve your scores.

7. Volunteering at hospital and Nursing home is good to see if you like the medical environment.

8. If you are from NJ, keep in mind there are tons of other public colleges.

9/ Getting a job is good...not only to make money, but to learn about the working environment.

10. You are right on track...don't worry about internships and competitions...keep at it and see if they happen next year.

• intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 36,006 Senior Member
    I think you have a lot of ECs for the level of school you are looking at and your age. I see no need for you to add track (although for your own health, it is good to have some kind of exercise hobby at least -- but don't join track for college reasons). You are fine. Be sure to study for your standardized tests -- improving those scores and a good GPA will do you the most good in college admissions and getting scholarships from the schools (the best source of scholarships).