Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Feds uncover admissions test cheating plot

Replies to: Feds uncover admissions test cheating plot

• observer12observer12 Registered User Posts: 148 Junior Member
    @katliamom

Ha! You caught me out as I have never seen them. It just struck me as ironic that those kind of very expensive college advising firms like Singer ran also seem to be good at helping students to start charities or organize charitable events or start organizations that encourage literacy which all seem to be ultimately in the pursuit of college admissions. Lori Laughlin's daughter just started what seemed to be a rather successful business (for a teen) and she didn't do it to get into college.

I don't really think she belonged at USC. But I think her success in being able to influence tens of thousands of teens over social media seems a better hook than rowing crew, even if she had legitimately rowed crew throughout high school.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 20,579 Senior Member
    If my spouse has been fudging our tax returns for years and I sign return I am accountable whether or not I looked at them.

There is the innocent spouse rule, so you may not be liable. Some of these kids may have just signed where they were told to sign. They may still pay the price if they just signed an app prepared by someone else or ever submitted by someone else.
    And with rare exceptions (Yale ice hockey for example), the Ivies don't generally compete at the highest level of college sports (although they do play in D1).

The Ivies do compete D1, at the highest level. They play in the lower level in football and do not participate in bowl games. Other than that, they want to win the national championships, want to be in March Madness, want the competition to bring it on. Yale won the national championship in men's lacrosse last year.

• privatebankerprivatebanker Registered User Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    clearly the Yale lax coach wasn’t wasting spots like the idiot volleyball coach. I think brown has had some great lax teams the past few years as well.
  • sushirittosushiritto Registered User Posts: 2,798 Senior Member
    The Ivies do compete D1, at the highest level. They play in the lower level in football and do not participate in bowl games. Other than that, they want to win the national championships, want to be in March Madness, want the competition to bring it on. Yale won the national championship in men's lacrosse last year.

Since 1985, or the last 33 years, the Ivy League is 8-34 in the NCAA basketball tournament. Fourty-two NCAA games with 8 wins in 33 years isn’t really competing at the highest level. Not in basketball anyways.
  • menloparkmommenloparkmom Registered User Posts: 12,758 Senior Member
    "USC doesn't "need" her.
    It's a college. "

hear, hear!! Could NOT have said it better!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D> =D> =D>
  • northwestynorthwesty Registered User Posts: 3,378 Senior Member
    edited March 15
    The Ivies intentionally compete at a lower level of competition within D1. Except for some niche sports like lax, crew, ice hockey.

Harvard sports are quite different than sports at high academic schools like stanford duke nw vandy nd who play full bore scholarship power conference sports.

That lower level of play is basically the entire reason why the Ivy League was formed.
  • jcwjnw99jcwjnw99 Registered User Posts: 126 Junior Member
    @momo2x2018 - Zadeh, and the other wealthy and influential parents involved, indicates that USC admissions plays it straight. There’s a reason why parents were trying to use this “side door” of athletic walk-ons.

Are there students admitted because an extremely wealthy parent donated ten million dollars? Of course, that occurs at all the top private’s. Most of these parents, while very wealthy, aren’t worth the hundreds of millions that can donate that much.

Every year, USC has to turn away thousands of legacy applicants, children of faculty, top 1% test scores, etc. They just don’t have the space to admit all of them. These parents aren’t used to their money, celebrity, and influence not ensuring admittance.

Those same advantages sometimes do not instill in their children the drive required to present themselves as a strong candidate for these elite schools. Their parents want them to succeed but become blind to their enabling behavior. Can you see any of these students doing volunteer work or holding a job as a teenager?
  • MmeZeeZeeMmeZeeZee Registered User Posts: 563 Member
    @momo2x2018 The Colburns too... he's a physician! He's not even rich by Palo Alto standards. Upper middle class, sure, but she doesn't work. It is just so strange to think you would pay to cheat.

I too would be disappointed if my child decided not to work hard in school, but there's always community college or the ever-popular "gap year". You can just send the little mite to Europe if you are so concerned about popular opinion!

• austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 8,039 Senior Member
    @charpen: Coaches get a set number of recruits (2 - 3). 9 times out of 10 these recruits have lower - test scores / transcripts / essay quality.

How do you know what's in their applications? Have you seen them?
  • 1NJParent1NJParent Registered User Posts: 843 Member
    I can't get my head around Zadeh, the USC Dentistry professor with 40 years at USC (undergrad/grad/prof) USC faculty kids generally get admitted (if they meet the academic criteria), and they get free tuition (not board). He is not one of the so called 'wealthy, entitled parents' He paid a $100k bribe by refinancing his house and credit card payments spread over six months; he obviously didn't have the liquidity to afford the bribe and now he's going to pay for it with his career, his freedom, his family etc. What a sad waste!
    Either he is so dumb, or his kid is, or both.
  • lykia99lykia99 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    One thing that strikes me is how some of these "recruited athletes" apparently didn't even play the sports in question. Wouldn't this have raised a red flag? No one at any of these universities noticed that *star* athletes arrived and then didn't participate in their sports? I've never played soccer, and imagine that would be apparent two minutes after I ran out on the field. Bizarre.